Thread: Dubias

John911

Default Dubias

Our 2 baby pixies are about 2 maybe 2.5" svl. Threw in a dime sized dubia and the one grabbed it, almost had it totally in, but then kept spitting it half way out. I ended up taking it away. Should they be able to handle this? Do they break down the shell or just swallow it whole?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

EpicFrogMan

Default Re: Dubias

imagine if they are in the wild and see a little roach walking by. They are going to eat it and digest it for sure.

Jeff Kennedy

Hi John.

I am all too familiar with this. They swallow it whole. What happens is they aren't use to the dubia's strong grip and filaments and it startles them. They will either spit it out all together, move it around until they are more comfortable with it or hold pressure on it until it quits moving. We see this all the time with ours. All you have to do is throw it back in front of them. Chances are the second attempt it will go in different and they will swallow it with no problems,

EpicFrogMan

I have still yet to feed any of my animals dubias and i know i need to save money especially for my bearded dragons

John911

Yeah the roaches seemed to startle our pacman as well but he's a little bigger and hammered it down.

John911

Quote Originally Posted by EpicFrogMan View Post
    imagine if they are in the wild and see a little roach walking by. They are going to eat it and digest it for sure.
    True story. Sometimes I forget that these things know what they're doing for the most part.

XSpringer

My little guy is about the size of a golf ball now, he's taken as many as 4 adult male dubias in one setting. I'd imagine size was not the issue with yours.

Thread Information