Thread: Soon to be froggy owner, advice?

peeka

Default Soon to be froggy owner, advice?

Hi everyone my name is Ally,

I've always been fascinated by frogs, they are so cool! Where I was born they are mostly just considered pests or gross so I was never allowed to bring them inside or keep one. Now that I live in the US and on my own I would really love to explore being a froggy owner.

From doing some research I see fire bellied toads are good for a first timer so I have been looking to maybe get one this christmas, however i'm not opposed to a different kind if you guys have any other suggestions

this is what i'm looking for :
    easy to care for a first timer
    interesting to look at ie- they do stuff every once in awhile
    nothing too big or that will need a ton of room
    handleable in the sense that if i needed to capture it quickly, in the case of an emergency or vet visit etc I can do so without stressing both of us out. I wouldn't mind if it sat in my hand on occasion tho

I'm just starting out so any advice you can impart on a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
    Looking forward to getting to know you and thanks for your time.

Ally

bshmerlie

Default Re: Soon to be froggy owner, advice?

Welcome to the forum. I think firebellies are the best first frogs. They are awake all the time, or at least when you come to look at them. They do well in pairs or small groups because they'll interact with each other. They love the water so make sure their home comes with a pool. The only bad thing about getting too many is they are big eaters and will eat you out of house and home if you let them

peeka

Thanks Cheri for the reply,

how big of an enclosure would fire bellies need? do they climb at all?
    are there any other good first timer frogs for me to consider before I set my mind on fire bellies?
    thanks

Ally

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by peeka View Post
    Thanks Cheri for the reply,

how big of an enclosure would fire bellies need? do they climb at all?
    are there any other good first timer frogs for me to consider before I set my mind on fire bellies?
    thanks

Ally
    You could go as small as a 10 gallon for a couple of firebellies. They don't need height as they don't usually climb. But they can climb and are one of the best escape artists I know so you must have a locking lid, no matter how tall the tank is. As far as other frogs go when I think of a first frog I not only think of easy but also something that can be entertaining both day and night. Most frogs are nocturnal and will sleep all day and to the new owner that can get boring. I here over time the Pacific chorus frog will become diurnal and they are very comical and active frogs. Then you have the darts but they wouldn't fall into the easy to catch category that you mentioned. Frogs are mostly a look but don 't touch pet anyways and if you would be willing to culture fruit flies you could consider the denrobates tinctorius. John, the Creator of this forum highly recommended them for a first dart species to someone else looking to get into frogs. Maybe he'll chime in as I have not owned darts before. But I must say I'm very tempted. They are beautiful. Also of course the Whites tree frogs are always popular with the beginners. That's about all I can think of right now. Let us know what you decide to get.

poison beauties

As far as Dart Frogs go there are quite a few that make great beginners frogs. Tnctorious species are great but should not be kept in groups as they can be very aggressive to the same sex tank mates.. There are also about 20 or so Tinc species availible pretty much all the time so you have a nice selection to choose from. Froglets could go in a ten gallon but for a pair you should consider a 20 long or larger as they are terrestrial and active.
    Another great starter group would be the Auratus family which can be kept in groups and come in a few different locales so you have options there as well. You could keep a pair in a ten gallon but bigger is always better.
    The terribilis and galact familes do well in groups and are very beautifull frogs but they can be pricey and need larger vivs to thrive.
    All of which require a certain temp and humidity levels and a diet that differs from many other frogs in the hobby.

Michael

Jace

My vote would be on Fire Belly Toads. They can have a simple or as fancy a setup as you want. They are very personable, active, and hearty eaters. A standard 10 gallon tank can easily hold up to 4, but the tank itself is small enough to fit on a small table, sturdy shelf, or have center stage on the coffee table. If you are lucky enough to have a male or two in your group, they have a very charming call, sounding like a dog barking in the distance. It's a very distinct sound but unless you have a whole army of males, it will not be enough to disturb any neighbours or room-mates you may have.

Note: these frogs are toxic, and washing your hands before and after handling them is recommended. As well, it is not a good idea to house them with anything other than their own species as they have enough toxin that can build up over time to kill another species. However, I have had these toads for many years (I currently have 8) and never had a problem with any negative reaction to handling them.

bshmerlie

Just to clarify they're not toxic to the touch. Just wash your hands after as you should be doing with any frog. Oh, and don't eat them. They're pets not food.

JeffX

Based on what you said, I'd say Firebellies as well. They call frequently, and don't really need much room either.

Also Pacman Frogs make good beginner amphibians as well. However they do get big and they do bite. Most people keep their Pacmans in 10 gallons or even 20gallons. They don't move much though, except when it comes for food.

peeka

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I think i'm going to go with the firebelly

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Ally

P.S any ideas on where I can find some? I'm going to get two so they have company. I'm not going to get them for a little while but would like to get in touch with a responsible breeder early.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by peeka; October 29th, 2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: postscript

Thread Information