Thread: NZ Tadpole Identification

Zac

Default NZ Tadpole Identification

Hello

I came back from the bird barn petshop today with 11 tadpoles of unknown species.

Okay, since as far as I've known we can only buy 3 types of frogs here, Litoria Aurea, raniformis and Ewingii (please tell me if I'm missing any out!). I've been looking at tadpoles of all species and apparently the Aurea and the Raniformis are yellow-gold in colouring, while the Ewingii are darker.

Could you please tell me what species I have here?

Also some questions:

Can you feed tadpoles turtle pellets, especially the ones with dried shrimp?
    Even though they are abundant here in Auckland, should they have heating to increase growth development?
    Is a 15 gallon plastic tub suitable for 11 froglets?

Also Ebony, when are we gonna see that G&GBF caresheet?

Thanks,
    Zac

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zac

Default Re: NZ Tadpole Identification

Why so many views but no comments? Please help

Kurt

There's not that many views and very few people outside New Zealand know much about these three species. Litoria aurea is occasionally available in the US, but not that often. I don't think I have seen raniformis here and I know I have never seen ewingii. The majority of us are in the US, so most of us can't really answer your question. The second largest group here are the Brits and I can't say for sure, but I think the same holds true for them as well, and quite possibly the Canucks as well.
    The Kiwis are kind of a small group here and you will have to wait until one of them reads this thread. Maybe some of the Aussies can help, but most of them aren't too active here.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Zac..Nice to see you. The tadpoles are very hard to identify. Im sorry but I cant see your attachment. I have Green and Golden tadpoles and Whistlers in my album. I can tell Whistlers..and from my own experience..the L raniformis is a darker greener colouring than the L aurea which has more the yellow/gold colouring like you say. Sizes vary due to conditions as Ive seen smaller L raniformis & L aurea tads than my Whistling tads.

With the tadpole food..I give them Wardley goldfish flake's or any good goldfish flake food. They also do well with frozen blanched lettuce. Ive also heard of zucchini but have not tried it. I wouldn't know how they would do with turtle food...sorry.

As for the articles...John is hoping to get them up this weekend. I have an article that will be in the next issue of the New Zealand Pet mag if you get that.

Kurt

Awesome! Congrats!

jtay

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    I have an article that will be in the next issue of the New Zealand Pet mag if you get that.
    That is so cool Ebony! I will totally get a copy

charlamanda

I have 84(for now,LOL) Gray Tree frog tads that I too feed fish flakes. I put the flakes in a cup then add water and swish around before adding them to the tads tank. This way most of the flakes sink, rather than float. I have heard that tads that eat from the water surface can ingest too much air and may become bloated and die. I've been using this technique for a while and so far I have not had any tads bloat and or die. Best of luck!
    BTW I couldn't open your pic. You may want to post it again and or take a few updated pics as they get larger, it will be easier for someone to id. Hope this helps.

charlamanda

As for the articles...John is hoping to get them up this weekend. I have an article that will be in the next issue of the New Zealand Pet mag if you get that. [/QUOTE]
    Congradulations!

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Thanks guys..Its just a small guide to keeping frogs. Hopefully it will help some new frog enthusiasts.

Thread Information