Thread: Water changing question

Mattiez

Arrow Water changing question

Hey guys, I have a question about changing the water for these guys. I have one FBT in a 10 gallon with coco substrate. Eventually, I plan on giving him a more aquatic set up, with a piece of dividing acrylic and a water section with its own filter etc. For the moment though, he just has two water bowls I change every morning. One is a small sized ceramic bowl, and the other is one of those fake rock little pools.

I was wondering if simply pouring the old water out and refilling it with the new is enough, or if each time I should thoroughly rinse out the container before refilling it with new water.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Water changing question

I have a gallon jug with sitting water with the dropps in it... I wash the bowl every day rinse well and fill with the sitting water so all of the bad stuff is gone... they say to use a watered down bleach water to wash it with... but I cant seem to get the smell out of the fake rock dish well enough so I just use hot hot water...

Mattiez

Hmm. I never have a smell issue, but sometimes the rocks and inside of the bowls feel a lil slimely, so I just rinse them down with hot water and rub them with my hands or a towel. The water I use to refill the bowls gets de-chlorinating drops, and sits out for about 12 hours. Is it okay if the inside of the bowl is still a little wet with tap water from the rinse before I fill it with the safe water? I figure the drops I put into the safe water would still be able to counter-act the tiny bit of chlorine that may be present from the few drops of rinse water left. You guys think that's okay, or is it too much of a risk? Again, thanks for your opinions and advice!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yes it's alright if it's wet from tap water. The "safe water" still contains the dechlorinator that you used in it before so it'll get any residue of chlorine/chloramine in the bowl. I would advise scrubbing the bowl every now and then - get yourself a small dish washing brush.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Mattiez

Awesome. That's basically what I figured but I just wanted to confirm it. Thanks guys. Like with my leopard baby, I'd rather be overly safe about every aspect than sorry.

Thread Information