Thread: White's Trouble Eating: Stuck Tongue?

IgbyKibbits

Default White's Trouble Eating: Stuck Tongue?

Hey guys -

Sorry I haven't been keeping up on the forum. We've been going through our deworming treatment with our little guys, which is about a two hour process each night between cleaning and sanitizing each hospital tank. Anyway, on our new arrival (Ori) hasn't eaten since the first night that she arrived, which was two weeks ago!!! We've tried everything to get her to eat, and in the process, we've seen a really strange behavior that I'm not familiar with: she'll occasionally lunge after a cricket, but then it's like her mouth/tongue just get stuck. She'll sit there for a few seconds with her mouth wide open, and her tongue rolled out and finally close her mouth having been unsuccessful in the hunt. We've seen this behavior multiple times! Usually after that, it's like she just gives up and climbs up the feeding tank away from the crickets.

Has anyone seen this behavior? Anything we can do? FYI, all three went to the vet last Monday for an exam. The vet found nothing unusual, no bloating, no impaction, etc. Ori had a very healthy weight (the fattest of them all), is very very active, very green. We've seen no other behavior changes/symptoms besides this eating failure.

All three frogs are currently in separate hospital tanks during their deworming treatment. This is a precautionary treatment with panacur, no positive tests for parasites. They'll be tested again in three weeks after the treatment is complete. Temps/humidity are appropriate (50% humidity, 75-85 temps, and they get a UVB cycle for 12 hours, crickets are dusted, etc.)

So any ideas guys? I'm getting worried : ( Anyone had their frogs tongue get "stuck" like that?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White's Trouble Eating: Stuck Tongue?

Sorry to hear of your frog's condition. According to your post, you already taken your frogs to the vet and they had a clean check-up. I have seen a condition called the "short tongue syndrome" in which frogs are unable to grab prey. When I was working at the zoo as an amphibian keeper, I was in charge of maintaining a critically endangered toad, Bufo baxteri. This species is likely to have "short tongue syndrome". Each week, I administered Vitamin A drops to the backs of each toad. The reason was to keep their immune systems from deteriorating by bacterial and fungal infections. It's a long shot, but you may want to talk to your vet about the effects of hypovitaminosis A on frogs. Good luck and hope all goes well.

Here is an article that you may share with your vet:
    http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/navc...E/646.pdf?LA=1
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

charlamanda

Hello again, I am sorry to hear that Ori hasn't been eating. I hope she'll be ok.
    Even though I don't have enough experience to help I did have a strange episode with Baby a week or two ago. He/She was in a see through container loaded with fruit flies. Baby went to grab one on the side on the container and as his/her tongue was out with the ff on it and he/she just sat there for a few seconds, maybe even a minute. Tongue out, fruit fly on it, up against the container and then pause....it was so weird!!! He/she stayed there long enough that I brought the container over to where my mother was sitting to show her.
    Baby was the one who I took in when he/she was so emaciated. Even with all the TLC and constant feeding Baby, Hoppy and Shadoobie are still very small, but still look like they are at healthy weights/size. Other than that instance I have not seen this happen again, but I don't normally sit and watch them so closely at every feeding. I think they may all have parasites, but pray they don't or at least Baby doesn't have another problem too.
    I wish you and your little babies the best and keep us posted.

IgbyKibbits

Thanks for the replies! We are still just as baffled as before with the non-eating. I'll call the vet tomorrow and ask about Vit. A supplementation (drop form) since we have been unable to feed her, and force-feeding is going to be out of the question. We tried to give her oral medicine last night (she, and the others, are going through a panacur de-worming treatment) and just could NOT get her mouth open. So...the idea of force-feeding makes my stomach turn. I'm just so desperate for her to eat, and completely baffled!

No other signs of sickness. She's active as ever, green, climbing all over the place. She just won't eat! And three weeks, isn't that long to not eat, especially for an adult dumpy?

Kurt

I am just reading this thread for the first time. My first thoughts were the same that Terry came to, a vitamin A deficiency.

charlamanda

How are thing going? Has Ori eaten? I haven't seen any posts from you about your new frogs and I am a little concerned. Please give us an update

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

This remind me a bit of my new WTF "Honey-Lime", who we've had for 10 days; she's a baby abt 2" long. The first time I gave she and her companion crickets Honey leaped enthusiastically for one on a flour pot, HARD, and then sat there for a moment with her mouth open and eyes closed with an "OW!" look. After that she went back to catching crickets and seemed fine. Honey seems otherwise normal but a bit slow right now, she developed loose stools about 4 days after we got these guys, though her companion's stool is normal, as was hers in the container I brought them home in. Can Vit A deficiency cause loose stool? I also remember that she jumped out of the tank at petco before we bought her and landed SPLAT on the floor... could that be a cause of the loose stool? We've changed her diet from crickets fed cheerios and wheat germ to crickets (smaller, she had a lot of trouble with the so-called medium ones) fed the dry Flukers cricket diet fed at the store. If she hasn't started clearing up within a few days of the changed diet will be sending a fecal sample off to P&G's Vet Checked Reptiles. Will Vit A treatments effect the outcome of a fecal test though...?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thumper, I would send the fecal test off asap rather than waiting to see if it clears up. You're having multiple issues with her and that might clear up everything. I highly doubt it's a cricket diet issue, especially when the frogs came from petco. For the record, fresh fruits and vegetables are the perfect cricket gutload.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

10. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Thumper, I would send the fecal test off asap rather than waiting to see if it clears up. You're having multiple issues with her and that might clear up everything. I highly doubt it's a cricket diet issue, especially when the frogs came from petco. For the record, fresh fruits and vegetables are the perfect cricket gutload.
    Yeah, you're right... was thinking about that after I'd said it too. Now to wait for her to produce another stool sample-- and it's the weekend, oh joy. Apparently a sample will still be viable if refrigerated too, just have to make sure it stays cool in transit... how would I do that? Cool packs of some kind? Imagine I'd have to ship UPS...

Would thawed frozen broccoli and the like be ok for crickets? We have a lot of frozen broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix in the fridge, lasts better than the fresh kind.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

My crickets love broccoli. I do spinach, carrots, sweet potato, broccoli, squash, oranges, pears, apples, and etc. I try to fit a variety in there so I know that my frogs get well rounded nutrition.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

13. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    My crickets love broccoli. I do spinach, carrots, sweet potato, broccoli, squash, oranges, pears, apples, and etc. I try to fit a variety in there so I know that my frogs get well rounded nutrition.
    Dang, we need to follow their example. Your crickets eat better than we do, lol!

How about this Vitamin A oil I keep hearing about...?
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information