Thread: Gut feeding

Treefrog123

Default Gut feeding

if i know for a fact that my pet store feeds good food to the crickets i buy there do i still have to gut feed them. the food they use is the exact same type i would use

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Gut feeding

I feed my crickets store bought gutloading food and mix in crushed fish flakes, cat food and powdered milk. As well, I give them several carrots and leafy greens throughout the week. If you are confident that the crickets are gutloaded to your satisfaction, then I am sure they would be fine. Personally, giving my crickets that little extra has resulted in some fat and healthy frogs-and some very content crickets before they become frog poop!

JeffX

I also use the commercial gut-loading food and use some greens as well. You can never be too careful.

Greenlove

In my opinion, I would gut load them for at the very least 48 hours. I gut load mine on romaine lettuce, carrots, potatoes, apples, red grapes (cut in half), cantaloupe, and a ground up mixture of cat chow, Rep-Cal (or powdered milk) and Herptivite----You can find the measurements under "culturing crickets" on this forum. I am raising about 700 right now to breed them so I don't have to buy them anymore, but until that happens, I just buy a thousand, one week old crickets and raise them on the above ingredients. This makes for a healthy juicy cricket and my frogs are thriving on them. If you do use fresh fruits and veggies, replace them every other day.

Mercedesherp

Regardless of maintenance diets, I always allow my crickets to feed on fresh
    tropical fish food flakes, just prior to introduction as food items.

Hank

Thread Information