Thread: Rearing Info and questions about Bufo debilis and Bufo quercicus

atlasct

Default Rearing Info and questions about Bufo debilis and Bufo quercicus

Hello,
    I purchased 4 days ago these species from a Herp expo. Their are at adult size and, if sexing (basing on throat skin patterns) is an enough criteria, they shuld be 2 males and 1 female for both species.
    Basing on the specie's provenience, B. debilis should require a drier environment.
    Today I prepared larger terrariums for both (each species in a separate terrarium) and put 2 inches of natural potting soil (no chemical added) and a small plastic dish with water. Once I put the toads in the terrarium, in early afternoon, the three B. quercicus after few minutes started to burrow so now they disappeared under the soil.
    For the moment I am not using artificial sources of light/heat as room temperature now is around 24°C (I live in Sicily, South Italy), and light came directly from a window.
    I don't know if such reaction of the Oak toads is a signal of too dry environment or is a normal behaviour (though this species should be active during the day).
    The three B. debilis, on the other hand, didn't burrow (one of the three simply is hidden under a piece of curved bark).
    Any advice will be appreciated!

Mario

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Rearing Info and questions about Bufo debilis and Bufo quercicus

Sounds like it might to be to dry for the oak toads. Moisten the soild but not to much. You want it moist enough to stick to your fingers, but not so much that when you press on it water comes out.

Thread Information