Thread: Two Questions

Jeffree

Default Two Questions

I've got a Squirrel Tree Frog who I've had for a month now. So far he's been kept on Eco-Earth bedding and now needs a change. I went to the store and they didn't have any so I picked up some Exo Terra Forest Moss. It says it's for frogs, lizards, ect and even features a Pac Man (I believe) frog and a Poison Dart Frog on the front.

I just want to make sure this is an ok brand of moss to use for my little guy before I add it. Even though it says it's for frogs, I want to be sure I can trust it. (Since cedar and pine shavings are often sold for things like ferrets, rats, hamsters, ect and will lead to nothing but health problems, even possibly death when used.)

How often should I change the bedding? It's a 20 gallon long (I know, a taller one would be better but I had this one already before I ever got my frog and can't afford $100 new tank) and only has one adult STF in it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Two Questions

Its fine. Monitor the sanitary conditions and change substrate as needed.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

There's no absolute time frame on when to clean it - with only one frog in there it could last many months, but do remove individual frog poops as you see them.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jeffree

Alright thanks! I added the moss and he seems to enjoy it a lot more than the Eco-Earth. I only had the EE in there for a month before it started to mold which I found weird since I've used it for my Hermit Crabs for the last 2.5 years and never had a problem with mold and I only clean their tank every 8ish months besides taking old food and the poop I can see out. And I'd think their tanks would mold faster due to the fact they a) bury food and b) they require a higher temp/humidity level than the frog.

Thread Information