Thread: The elusive bean weevil :-(

Greenlove

Default The elusive bean weevil :-(

I'm feeding fruit flies and pinhead crickets to my young frogs. I thought I should try to spruce up their variety a little, as this is what I've read you should do. Bean weevils seem to be an acceptable choice, yes? Guess what? I can't find any cultures to buy! I found one person that was selling them but he lives in the UK. Anyone have any info on where I might find the elusive bean weevil culture?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

vince

Default Re: The elusive bean weevil :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlove View Post
    I'm feeding fruit flies and pinhead crickets to my young frogs. I thought I should try to spruce up their variety a little, as this is what I've read you should do. Bean weevils seem to be an acceptable choice, yes? Guess what? I can't find any cultures to buy! I found one person that was selling them but he lives in the UK. Anyone have any info on where I might find the elusive bean weevil culture?
    Sorry I'm in the uk too but once you get them divide your culture into two .I use sweet jars then top up with fresh black eyed peas [ or beans] and keep about 85 ish and bobs your uncle millions of the buggers The dart frog guys and gals should be able to supply em. Sent my mate some and they got lost in the post when he finally got the package 2wks later millions of them. My adult Greys ,Japanese and European Tree-frogs love them too so do all the Bombina's that I have . Hope you get some

4. This member thanks vince for this post:

Kevin1

Try this.
    Other feeders

6. This member thanks Kevin1 for this post:

Kurt

$20 is a little pricey for bean weevils.

vince

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Whats $20 in English you get a jar full for just over a pound over here,

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

We have a few hens and the scratch feed has tiny weevils that appear if it sits too long. I assume the eggs come in with the grain and it takes a few generations for the numbers to get large enough to start seeing them. But, by the time I get to the bottom of the bucket there are hundreds of them. They are slightly larger than fffs and dark brown to black in color.

I fed a couple to my azureus once and they seemed to really like them, but I was concerned that their exoskeleton would make them difficult to digest and, therefore, not provide much nutrition.

I assume these are a different species, but have often wondered if they would be good feeders. When you use bean weevils, are you feeding the frogs the mature insect or the larvae? The grain weevils' larvae are usually inside a piece of corn or wheat and collecting them to feed out would be very tedious.
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Kevin1

I agree, but it was the only site I knew of that had them, not that there aren't others out there though.

TDK

Supposed to be illegal to ship across state lines in the U.S. becasuse they are considered a pest.

12. This member thanks TDK for this post:

Greenlove

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Whats $20 in English you get a jar full for just over a pound over here,
    20 American dollars = 12.7 British pounds

Greenlove

JimO------ I have also heard other people say that their frogs liked them, that's why I thought I would give them a try. From what I understand, it's the mature insect that you feed, not whats inside the bean.

Kurt

I use bean weevils to supplement the fruit flies. I never feed weevils exclusively.

Greenlove

I use bean weevils to supplement the fruit flies. I never feed weevils exclusively.
    I too would NEVER feed one kind of insect exclusively. First, it wouldn't be fair to the frog. Second, it wouldn't be very nutritious. VARIETY is the key to health and happiness

Kurt

Let me clarify this a little more. When I feed weevils, fruits flies are also fed at the same time. The feeding jar has both the weevils and the flies mixed together, so they both go it at the same time.

vince

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlove View Post
    JimO------ I have also heard other people say that their frogs liked them, that's why I thought I would give them a try. From what I understand, it's the mature insect that you feed, not whats inside the bean.
    Right bean weavills emerge from the bean then lay their eggs on fresh beans the maggot then buries into the bean where it chews away until it hatches The adults live for about 9 days when they will mate and lay eggs like pin heads on fresh beans.The female wont lay her eggs on beans with lots of eggs on already,so every month divide your culture and add more beans. Try the bug and spider guys they use them a lot .One point you dont add anything but beans no water no nothing. Hope you can get hold of some

vince

Let me clarify this a little more. When I feed weevils, fruits flies are also fed at the same time. The feeding jar has both the weevils and the flies mixed together, so they both go it at the same time.
    How do you do this as fruit-flies need damp medium and the bean weevils need bone dry or the bean rots?

Nationality
    [United States]

If I'm not mistaken,I think Kurt means that he mixes them just before feeding and doesn't culture them together.
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    How do you do this as fruit-flies need damp medium and the bean weevils need bone dry or the bean rots?
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Nationality
    [United States]

Kurt,

So darts can digest an adult beetle with a tough exoskeleton? As I mentioned in an earlier post, I find small weevils about the size of ffs in our chicken scratch feed occasionally. I wasn't sure they could be digested. If they are okay, I'd like to try them occasionally.

Jim

vince

Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    Kurt,

So darts can digest an adult beetle with a tough exoskeleton? As I mentioned in an earlier post, I find small weevils about the size of ffs in our chicken scratch feed occasionally. I wasn't sure they could be digested. If they are okay, I'd like to try them occasionally.

Jim
    I got mine originally from a company called Dartfrog in the UK which specializes in things for dartfogs have a look info@dartfrog.co.uk

Thread Information