Thread: Feeding schedule - how much and what ?

chris2pher

Default Feeding schedule - how much and what ?

i feed lily 1 mouse every other week and a mixture of vitamin dusted crickets & worms every other week .

to sum it up -

2 mice a month and the rest bugs. i would like to cut back on the mice but its so hard to come up with a large meel of bugs = to a mouse in one sittin. 1 mouse 2 bucks 100 crickets 10 bucks

if you have any tips you could give me on how to keep lily full let me know.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Greenlove

Default Re: Feeding schedule - how much and what ?

So, you only feed her once a week? Is that enough for these kinds of frogs? Sorry I don't have any advice for you, I was just curious why you feed only once a week. I feed my tree frogs everyday

Jace

Young bullfrogs should be fed several times a week, but the older they get, the less they eat. Not being a very active frog, they don't require daily feedings. My one male rarely takes food more than once a month, while my other one needs weekly feedings. My female eats two-three times a month.

That being said, my frogs maybe get a mouse twice a year...and that is very rare. I would definitely cut back on the mice and stick with a main diet of crickets, roaches and worms. Yes, they are more expensive, but much healthier for your frog and in the long run, a healthy frog is much cheaper than one that needs to be taken to the vet. Best of luck.

bshmerlie

There are a lot of people who only feed their frogs once a week. I on the other hand enjoy watching them eat so I feed them more often. I just cut back when they start looking chubby and don't look good in a bathing suit.

Greenlove

[QUOTE=bshmerlie. I just cut back when they start looking chubby and don't look good in a bathing suit.[/QUOTE]
    LOL...That's funny.

jjmorton13

Wow your crickets are expensive! I would recommend starting a roach colony. After a few months, you will have an unending supply of free food.

Eel Noob

I love using nightcrawlers and Walmart have them at $3 for two dozen. If there's any specialty reptile shop nearby ask to see if they carry any frozen baby quails or chicks.

Mordecai

I would definitely invest in some dubia roches. If you can get yourself a colony going, it will be a great way to save money and provide a very nutritious food source for your frog. One adult female dubia can produce 20-40 babies a month. This way you can also ensure that your frog is getting the most nutritious diet. A lot of pet stores just offer their crickets potatoes, and so in turn, that's what your animal gets. If you have your own roach colony, you can gut load them with carrots, apples, and some high protein cat food.
    If you decide not to do the colony and just stick with the crickets and worms, you are certainly not getting the best deal with those crickets. We get 1000 for $12. I would suggest talking with your local pet store and seeing if you could have them order you some in bulk.
    This way you can cut back on the mouse feeding!! Too much protein and fatty tissue build up can result in a froggys life cut short! Lily's too pretty to leave too soon!

chris2pher

thanks for all the help

Malachi

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    I love using nightcrawlers and Walmart have them at $3 for two dozen. If there's any specialty reptile shop nearby ask to see if they carry any frozen baby quails or chicks.
    Are chicks/quail chicks considered much healthier than rodents? not milk fed/ more lean?

Kevin1

I would strongly believe they're more lean Malachi.

Thread Information