Thread: Tank humidity problems

Ribbitmethis

Default Tank humidity problems

Fall is in the air, and my apartment has gotten very dry as it's very drafty. Along with my apartment humidity, the tank humidity has... well... tanked! My guess is that this does not have to do entirely with the apartment humdity as much as the temperature (colder temp means more condensation, right?). The whole apartment building is on a centrally controlled heat source (radiators) which has not been turned on for the winter yet, so short of trying to heat 600 sq. ft with ceramic heaters (ouch! my electrical bill...) I think I have to switch to a higher heat-emitting bulb. I am currently using a timed 14-watt flourescent compact bulb for plant lighting (oh yeah, by the way, the tank is all natural except for the logs, which are sculpted and colored pvc). The tank is built into a wooden bookcase, so I can't do much with heat pads.

Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Tank humidity problems

What kind of frogs do you have? I would think a heat bulb would be the best bet for your situtation.

Ribbitmethis

Default Re: Tank humidity problems

Mercutio is a Peacock Big Eyed Tree Frog.

The humidity before this week would fluctuate on its own between 50% and 75% without much misting from me (I left it a full weekend once when I was out of town and the humidity was at 60% when I came home). It has been more around 30% lately, and I have turned down my auto vents from 15 minutes every 2 hours to 15 minutes every 4 hours.

The in-house temperature average has dropped from 75 degrees Fahrenheit to 60-65 degrees Fahrenheit.

His door is opened only for water and spot cleaning, feeding, and misting (all done at the same time).

Thread Information