Thread: Oxalates

Greenlove

Default Oxalates

I was researching various fruits and vegetables that I can feed to my crickets to make them extra healthy for my frogs. I came upon this thread (on another site) that says you shouldn't feed them spinach because it's high in oxalates. Something about it causing kidney damage among other things. Is this true? I have been feeding my crickets carrots, romaine, spinach, potatoes, broccoli, apples, grapes, cantaloupe and the recipe off of this site. Have I harmed my frogs by feeding the crickets spinach? I tried reading up on oxalates, on wikipedia, but it is very confusing.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rocko

Default Re: Oxalates

I had to do a lot of reading into oxalates myself when figuring out foods for my turtle. Essentially in high concentrations especially compared to the amount of calcium in a food, you can prevent calcium uptake in the animal as well as cause other damage. For spinach as well as carrots, yes they contain high oxalates and only slightly higher calcium, but they also provide a plethora of other nutrients which are good for the animals you feed them to. So my suggestion and that of others is that variety is the key. Some spinach and some carrots are great, balance it out with some low oxalate veggies, romaine i believe is a good example, so that your pet isn't overloaded with oxalates. I don't know the effects using an intermediate animal like a cricket to transmit these nutrients and perhaps oxalates but I imagine calcium dusting of the crickets could also help mitigate some of the issues. If you want to read more it seems a lot of turtle people have been examining this issue so you might look around on turtle forums for lists of low and high oxalate foods.

4. This member thanks Rocko for this post:

Rocko

A short list can be found here for reference Low and High Oxalate Foods - Turtle Forum

6. This member thanks Rocko for this post:

Greenlove

Thank you Rocko, this was very helpful.

Thread Information