Thread: Horned frog noob - help with heat

Greg M

Default Horned frog noob - help with heat

After decades of caring for native amphibians, I am thinking of getting a horned frog (either Cranwell's or Ornate). I have researched the subject extensively,and I still have some basic questions regarding set-up.
    1. In terms of care, which species is easier to care for?
    2. My house is 72 degrees pretty much year round, so I need some additional heat for daytime. I am reluctant to use an under the tank heater on the bottom because of possible burn risk and because it can really heat up a thick layer of substrate. I don't think they are very effective mounted on the side. So that leaves a low-wattage ceramic heater or low-wattage incandescent light.
    3. Does anyone use a plastic Faunarium/HerpHaven tank for short term care (quarantine), and how does one safely heat such a tank?
    4. Horned frogs are reputed to be silent and frequent carriers of chytrid - do any suppliers out there test or treat their frogs, or is this on me?

Thank you in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

John911

Default Re: Horned frog noob - help with heat

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    After decades of caring for native amphibians, I am thinking of getting a horned frog (either Cranwell's or Ornate). I have researched the subject extensively,and I still have some basic questions regarding set-up.
    1. In terms of care, which species is easier to care for?
    2. My house is 72 degrees pretty much year round, so I need some additional heat for daytime. I am reluctant to use an under the tank heater on the bottom because of possible burn risk and because it can really heat up a thick layer of substrate. I don't think they are very effective mounted on the side. So that leaves a low-wattage ceramic heater or low-wattage incandescent light.
    3. Does anyone use a plastic Faunarium/HerpHaven tank for short term care (quarantine), and how does one safely heat such a tank?
    4. Horned frogs are reputed to be silent and frequent carriers of chytrid - do any suppliers out there test or treat their frogs, or is this on me?

Thank you in advance!
    1. We have both, and I am a relative newb. Our large ornate never burrows. I dont know if this is normal. Theyre in the same substrate, same temp, same humidity. We actually have them split in a 10 for now. The cranwelli is always pretty much just eyeballs.

2. We have the same deal temp wise, so I put a 5 gallon pad under it. We keep our tanks on a wire shelf, so i dont think the pad gets a chance to build up a ton of heat that it could if on a solid shelf. Havent run into any problems yet. The constant temp is about 74 in there, and 80 right over the pad.

3. I think you can use a pad on those too.

4. No idea.

4. This member thanks John911 for this post:

Greg M

Hi John911! Thanks for the info!

Jeff Kennedy

I use heat lamps for our two huge Ornates that are in 10 gallon aquariums. This of course requires daily misting which I do in the morning as the substrate tends to dry out from the warmth. As far as the plastic containers, I keep those guys climate controlled in a room with a space heater and I still mist their enclosures daily as well.

Thread Information