Thread: Idea! (with diagram!)

chumpy100

Default Idea! (with diagram!)

ok i thought of this earlier, i use the false bottom thing but with a plastic sheet as the bottom ( holes drilled in it) with one of those substrate-proof screens. After you have the false bottom, make a hole in the plastic on the end just big enough for the pvc to fit through, connect a tube to the pvc and run it out of the cage and to a filter (i was thinking a small bin with sponges in it and maybe even a charcoal filter inside) instead of running it over the top, have a hole with a barb coming out of each side (the thing tubing connects to) one side being intake one side being output and on the output side run a tube to a small pond pump. after all that is done run a tube from the output of the pump up the side of the tank connected to a garden hose sprayer (with a barb) all running on a timer

anyone think this will work?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Idea! (with diagram!)

For the filter to be any good the water will have to flow 24/7 but otherwise I like it.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

chumpy100

for the filter i was just thinking for it to not filter the water constantly, just not spit dirty water into the tank

would it be wise to some how pressurize the filter? or it doesnt matter

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Interesting idea, but I think the real issue with it is water volume. In order for the water to soak through the substrate and to the pump/sprayer system, you would end up with a swampy mess of substrate. Depending on the substrate used, it could take a long time for the water to trickle through the substrate. This could lead to mold and odor issues, not to mention a burned up pump/filter.

The idea has promise though!

chumpy100

what are substrates that drain quickly?

into

Quote Originally Posted by chumpy100 View Post
    what are substrates that drain quickly?
    I'm still new as well, so whether or not this is the best to use or not, I'll throw it out there.... We use water and medium smooth rocks as substrate (large enough so that they don't get eaten). We use a water pump to continually move the water through the rocks and have created a slope so half of the tank bed is dry.

chumpy100

i dont need that much water =O i need all land except for under it for higher humidity

i can never seem to get the cut i want for the wood base im using..... hmm....
    Last edited by chumpy100; July 24th, 2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: adding thoughts

Thread Information