Thread: Grey Tree Frog... where to find or buy?

Rae

Default Grey Tree Frog... where to find or buy?

So I live in Ontario, Canada. and was wondering if anyone out there might know where to get Frodo some friends.

Frodo is our new lil addition to the family, and is a Grey Tree Frog.

We are in no rush whether we get another frog sooner or later, we just would like to start looking on how to find or purchase more here in Ontario. (Southern Ontario about an hour north of Toronto)

ANY and ALL Suggestions Wanted Thank-you!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

charlamanda

Default Re: Grey Tree Frog... where to find or buy?

I wrote a letter to the Pa Fish and Game comission asking if I could give away some of the tadpoles in my pool that are Gray Tree frogs. As far as I am aware, it is illegal for me to send one out of state or the country, and or barter, trade or sell one at all even in the state. However with so many tadpoles in my pool, it's not in state waters and they will not survive with out some human intervention. I am hoping that someone there will take this into consideration and allow me to intervein on the tads behalf and find them homes. If I can I'd be happy to send some to you for nothing but the shipping exspense, I'll get back to you as soon as they get back to me.

4. This member thanks charlamanda for this post:

Rae

Oh thankyou that sounds like a great idea if if ends up being aloowed =) are the eastern greys...Hyla veriscolor? I know there 2 types of grey tree frogs.

Kurt

Its illegal to transport or ship animals over an international border without proper paperwork. Sorry. You won't get any sympathy from F&W on saving tadpoles. Gray treefogs produce a lot of tagpoles and most are not expected to survive. Thats just nature's way and the gray treefrog's survival strategy.

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Its illegal to transport or ship animals over an international border without proper paperwork. Sorry. You won't get any sympathy from F&W on saving tadpoles. Gray treefogs produce a lot of tagpoles and most are not expected to survive. Thats just nature's way and the gray treefrog's survival strategy.
    I remember you telling me this before, but I thought it was worth a try, can't hurt to type a letter right.
    I do have some friends in the area that are willing to raise these guys too, which isn't illegal and since they were not found in Pa waters, nor sold, bardered or traded.
    I took in about 19, so far, and may scoop out more. Like I mentioned before, mother nature can be cruel, but I am not and can't be..LOL, maybe i am just a big sap!!

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Oh thank you that sounds like a great idea if if ends up being allowed =) are the eastern greys...Hyla veriscolor? I know there 2 types of grey tree frogs.
    Yes, the tads are Hyla versicolor, I am fairly sure because I have gone through this before and took 13 of them in as pets.
    The first group left the pool in July, the ones I have as pets are from this group. About 6 weeks ago I noticed more tadpoles in my pool when I was checking up on my Green frogs that have taken up residence in my, I think I've lost ownership to frogs, pool/frog pond.
    In the care article for the Gray Tree Frog it explains the 2 types and their differences, but unless you are willing to have DNA testing or get their calls analyzed you won't be able to know or tell the difference absolutely. I do not think there will be any problems, if by chance they aren't H. versicolor, with housing the two together or even breeding them because their DNA is compatible, for lack of a better or more scientific word.
    Here are a few pics of my froglets that are the same as the tads now in the pool. Keep in mind that they are still very small.
    The last 2 pics are of the tads I brought in yesterday. There are 19 ,so far, and the 2nd pic I placed a dime under the tank for size reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Rae

Omg there are too cute and... tame... Frodo wont let us near him unless Im feeding him and he hides right after again. both times my husband touched him he peed lol once on him out side... and then the other night though he wasnt picked up so no one got peed on.

Man I want to get Frodo back to being green

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Smile Re: Grey Tree Frog... where to find or buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Omg there are too cute and... tame... Frodo wont let us near him unless Im feeding him and he hides right after again. both times my husband touched him he peed lol once on him out side... and then the other night though he wasnt picked up so no one got peed on.

Man I want to get Frodo back to being green

I have 3 Cope's Greys Tree Frogs myself and one is a vibrant green with gold pattern outlines, his name is Kermit. When I first got him I thought he was a different species but after carefully analyzing him and the other two and listening to his calls I determined that he is the same species. For almost a year he remained bright green and then started to change color finally. Now he goes between grey, dark brown and bright green when ever he wants but I have noticed that when he changes to green he has been sitting on or near a well lite area of the tank (usually in the sunlight) and it is shortly after I have fed them all. I want to add another bright green Cope's Grey to my collect but I think the green ones re more rare than the grey and brown ones. Hope I am wrong because I really want another green one to match Kermit, he is so pretty! Good luck finding a companion for your Frodo, I am sure he will be happier when you do get him a friend as grey's are social frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I wanted to share a pic of my babies with every one. These little guys are Kermit (the bright green one), Lilly (the grey one), and Buddy grey with the most prominent patterns). I have had my heart stolen by Grey Tree Frogs! They are amazing little creatures! And so friendly, also! Every thing I have read about frogs being anti-social towards humans and only tolerating being handled does not apply to my frogs. They even beg to be let out and held for hours! They have big personalities in such little bodies... lol. My frogs will attack my cats noses when they are being curious and try to sniff one of them! I can't believe they are so brave?! They used to run from the cats when I first brought them home, but now they stand their ground and let the cats know who runs things in our home, lol! They are just simply awesome little guys! I can't wait until my tadpoles grow up, I think they are Grey's but I won't know for sure until they morph... I have some pics posted below of my Grey's and my new little tadpoles. I hope you all enjoy the pics as much as I enjoy them in my home?! The first one is Kermit by him self, the second is all three of them together waiting to be fed in their feeder box, the third is the new babies, and the forth is a close up of the biggest of the new babies; the tote box I have the new babies in is only 4 inches wide by 6 inches long (just an idea of how small these guys really are...!

Also, I don't know if I mentioned it in the top posts or not, but if you want to get your little guy as tame as mine, it can be done. My little girl, Lilly-pad, does not like being in captivity.. she will walk the bottom of the tank all afternoon and night. But even though she does not like being in captivity, she likes to be held. When I see her pushing on the glass instead of just walking the bottom, I will let her out by her self to sit on my arm or lap while I watch TV at night. She will sit there contented as can be until I put her away and then she will take a rest on trying to escape until the following evening. I am not actually sure if it is that she does not like being in captivity or if she just is more forceful than the boys about making it know that she wants out, but either way; a good amount of time spent with mom always calms her down. If you work with Frodo a few times a week he will get used to you handling him and may even ask to be let out like mine do after some time. And since he does not have a tank mate (and they are social animals) he may not take too long to hand tame. How is Frodo doing, by the way? Did you ever find him a companion? I have been looking for a place to buy Grey Tree Frogs for over a year. I don't like the idea of ordering and shipping live frogs so I wanted a local shop. But I have had no luck in finding one. So I really hope my little babies are Grey's after all!? All I can do is hope right now, lol...

Best Wishes to you and your family,
    Sincerely;
    MsBlueRose

Thread Information