Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Member needs urgent advice for Dumpy Tree Frog

wesleybrouwer

Default Re: New Member needs urgent advice for Dumpy Tree Frog

Try putting all lights out.
    Maybe we resolved you're problem with the male.

I also tried using different "moonlights" but they disturbed my nocturnal frogs in contrast to what you might think and what is on the label.
    I had some frogs that did not wake up as they normaly did,
    after turning off all lights it turned normal again.

So a good guess would be it is the light keeping you're frog sleeping.

2. This member thanks wesleybrouwer for this post:

Hop2It

To make sure I understand this, you first release several crickets into the cage after lights out, and then eventually some crickets will end up in the glass bowl? Was that a cricket bowl I saw in one of your pictures of Enoch? Thanks

wesleybrouwer

already in possesion of a new gauge to messure the humidity?

Just wondered how he is doing

5. This member thanks wesleybrouwer for this post:

Hop2It

This past Sunday I went to Pet Smart and purchased a digital thermometer/hygrometer. Now I can be fairly confident that I'm getting accurate readings. In order to try and improve the humidity I mist the cage several times a day, I make sure that the Hydro balls have plenty of water, and I placed a live Pothos plant in the cage.

This morning when I turned the cage lights on, the temp was 71 degrees F and the humidity was also at 71. I've noticed now that the temp is up to 73 but the humidity has dropped to 55% (even after misting). During the day I can't seem to get the humidity above the 50s range. Any thoughts? Less lights?

As for feeding, I purchased small crickets to try. At night I turn off all the lights in the cage and release several crickets. I hope they are eating them as there is no way to confirm this.

The male frog ( his name is Cocoa) looks healthy and he is active. In fact the other morning I heard noise coming from the cage and found that Cocoa had jumped into the Pothos plant!

wesleybrouwer

So it is getting better already

The values of the humidity and temperature can be raised at daytime tough.
    At night time the humidity level could be somewhat higher.

I don't know what the cage looks like.
    Maybe there is to much ventilation or something.

I do wonder how it is possible the temperature stays that low whit the lights on,
    i tought to remember you used a 75W lamp?
    I would say that the temperature should be higher then.

An easy way to raise the humidity in the setup you describe,
    is putting an aquarium heater underneath the hydroballs.
    It will bring up temperature and vaporates the water so automaticaly raises humidity.
    Most of this heaters have a built in thermostate, so you can fine tune it to you're needs.

If you have a viv with a lot of ventilation in it, you can try to tape some off.
    This will keep the humidity in for you.

8. This member thanks wesleybrouwer for this post:

Hop2It

Hello,

It's been a while so I thought I'd give you an update on how things are going. I'm still experimenting with ways on trying to raise the humidity level during the day. I've taped off about 1/2 of the screen on top of the enclosure, I try to make sure that there is plenty of water around the hydro balls, and I mist as often as possible. I might try getting an aquarium heater like you suggested. Also, I'm going to tape off more of the screen on top.

As for feeding, I added a cricket bowl with Fluker's Cricket Quencher in it. I make sure that there are crickets in the bowl at all times. Hopefully this is providing a steady source of food for both frogs. Still being unsure if Cocoa looked healthy, I took him to Pet Smart this evening and showed him to the frogs' previous owner who works there. She was happy to see him and commented on how much he had grown. She said that he looks healthy. The manager of pet health at the store also took a look and said that Cocoa looked fine. I was sure relieved to hear such positive comments! I will upload some pictures of my frogs and their enclosure shortly. Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Hop2It

In my last post I mentioned that Cocoa looked pretty good and appeared to be doing alright. Even last week things were going well. I'm sad to say that Tuesday when I came home from work I found Cocoa on the floor of the cage no longer moving. I was shocked and still don't understand what went wrong. The female seems to be doing alright, however tonight I noticed that her excrement was a dark, runny slime and not like the firm pods that I used to see when I first got the frogs. I hope nothing is wrong with her. I'm wondering if there might be some sort of intestinal problem going on. I still am using crickets. Can temperature that is to low or water that is to cool adversely affect tree frogs? I definitely do not want anything to happen to my one remaining frog. Do you suggest I get another frog for companionship or do these types of frogs do well on their own?

wesleybrouwer

sad to hear for you, but those things happen,

I don't know what the English terms are for it,
    but i think you're frog has Amoeba or Coccidiën that are parasites of the Protozoa type.

Best you can do is let the stool examine by a vet to determine what kind of medicine is needed for treathment.

Good luck with her.

12. This member thanks wesleybrouwer for this post:

Deb

Hi, Hop2it ! I am not an expert, but have a few suggestions. First, NO NEW FROG until you find out if current one is healthy. It will NOT be lonely. What , if anything, are you using for substrate in your frogs enclosure ? coconut fiber, " forest substrate, ? I would recommend paper toweling if you can. you can put several layers and keep this moist for humidity. Also easier to check the excrement. Also easier to clean FREQUENTLY to prevent bacteria building up. ALSO, the tree frog will not ingest bits of substrate when it eats which can cause problems. The cricket feeder bowl is a good idea, but you put the crickets into the bowl at night and the idea is they should NOT be able to get out so you can tell if your frog is eating. Another thing I learned the hard way is to be VERY CAREFUL what you use for cleaning both your tank AND your own room in the house. I did a "BIG CLEANING " of my house one day and used a lot of household cleaners that were absorbed through the frogs skin. It was a pacman frog that began opening / closing its mouth and then would go stiff and spasm (seizing). I fixed him by detoxifying him in a bowl of spring water filled just to the nostrils of his nose and changing the water every 2 hours for about 12 hours. Good luck ! I have learned a few things the " hard way "...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information