Thread: Gray Tree Froglets----FEROCIOUS APPETITE!!

Greenlove

Question Gray Tree Froglets----FEROCIOUS APPETITE!!

I read the wonderful article on gray tree frogs, but have a few questions. I have a lot of froglets that I'm feeding everyday. The article said to feed froglets as much as they will eat, but when does that stop? What age do I start feeding them every other day? They are about 3 weeks old. They stare at me every evening wanting food, so I know that the everyday feeding is not going to end soon. I was just wanting a time line because I read somewhere that you could actually feed them to much. I feed them each about 10 small (pinheads to 1/8") crickets and about the same amount of fruit flies everyday, sometimes more because an hour after feeding them, they are still looking at me. Some of them crawl up the glass when they are done but the others seem to have a ferocious appetite!!!! Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Gray Tree Froglets----FEROCIOUS APPETITE!!

Your froglets sound pretty cute, and a lot like my Pacific Chorus froglets in terms of appetite! When I first got them, they ate constantly and even when they looked ready to pop they were so full of crickets, they followed the Kricket Keeper around with big eyes. Mine were just morphed, and I have kept them on the daily feeding schedule until just this past week. I approximate their age to be roughly 5-6 weeks. Because they have almost tripled their size and are eating larger sized crickets, they are now down to an every other day feeding. I have done this before with other froglets and it seems to work. Hope this helps and that you can apply it to your Gray's. Best of luck!

4. This member thanks Jace for this post:

Greenlove

It's been a few weeks since my original post about their appetite, and just thought I would update.
    These froglets sure can lay on the guilt trip! I felt like maybe they were getting too fat, they look like they are about to burst out of their skin after eating, so I decided maybe it was a good time to skip a day feeding them, maybe gradually get them to an every other day feeding schedule. UHHGGG!! Never mind me feeling guilty about thinking they were going to go hungry, that was the easy part. Every time I walked into the room after their normal feeding time, they were clinging to the glass looking at me!! "Uhh, hey, human girl, forget something? We want some crickets over here! Hey, how about some fruit flies then? Hey, where you going? NO!....Don't turn off the lights, you haven't fed us yet."
    Ya, not fun. Not fun at all. I felt horrible. They survived of course, but I think I shaved off a year of my life by worrying about it. Anyways, I decided not to do that again. Instead, I just cut back a little and still feed them everyday. I think I'll give them a few more weeks to see if they slow down on their own. I just recently moved them up to 1/8 inch crickets which seem a lot meatier than pinheads. So, maybe when I try it again, they will feel fuller for a longer period of time. Maybe....just maybe....they won't lay on the guilt so thick.

Jace

Lol-yeah, they can be very sneaky when they are eyeballing you for food! My froglets can lay the guilt on pretty heavy, but when they are as round as mine, I know they can go at least a day. When I got my first Pacific Chorus frogs, they ate pretty much every day. Now that my one male is almost a year, he has slowed down and I expect the others to as well as they get older. Hopefully you can gain that year back that you lost and I am sure your frogs will love you for the daily feedings. Still...just to be safe...sleep with one eye open!

Greenlove

[QUOTE] Still...just to be safe...sleep with one eye open! [/QUOTE]

LOL!! I'll be sure to do that!

Thread Information