Thread: Hi

DanikaMilles

Default Hi

My name is Sarah and I am new here and I was curious if anyone new at what age a peacock tree frog turns brown? I adopted her from a friend and I have no idea what age she is all I know is when I got her she was in the process of turning brown but she wasn't the green color anymore the start out with.

Jace

Default Re: Hi

Hi Sarah and welcome to the Forum. Unfortunately, I have no experience with Peacock Treefrogs so I cannot help you with your question but I am sure there is someone on the Forum who will be able to. Thanks for joining!

Could you please select your country for display purposes? Thank you!

DanikaMilles

Ok thank you and I will be sure to do that. She is also known as a big eyed tree frog hope that helps. I just found out that they start off a green color.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The peacock tree frog or vermiculated tree frog (Leptopelis vermiculatus) is one of the largest tree frogs in Africa. Males reach just under 2 inches and females are larger at about 3.5 inches. They are native to the east African nation of Tanzania. There are two basic patterns: green and brown. Green-backed individuals have dark vermiculations (spots), the sides being marked with a marbling of white and back. Brown-backed individuals have a darker-brown irregular triangle shape on the back ( the "point" facing forward). There are also some frogs with an olive-green pattern lined in black. A dark patch between the eyes. The belly is creamy white with a brown tinge. Juveniles are enamel green with black spots.

General tree frog care. 20-gallon vivarium with plenty of plants to climb on. Males are generally not territorial, so they can co-exist together. Medium to large crickets for adults, dust with calcium 1x week, feed 1 or 2 crix 3x week. UVB lamp recommended 13 hours on. Temp 85 day, 70 night, 90% humidity.

Good luck
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Welcome to the forum Sarah. I don't know a lot about that species but hopefully someone else will be able to answer your question.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [Ireland]

That'll teach me to take 10 mins to respond to posts . Thanks for helping out, Terry.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

DanikaMilles

Thanx everyone. So my specific tree frog was never green? I am a little confused.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DanikaMilles View Post
    Thanx everyone. So my specific tree frog was never green? I am a little confused.
    It is likely the frog was a juvenile and is becoming an adult, that may be the reason for the color change. One of the problems with African tree frogs is that one species can have several different colors and patterns. It is likely your frog will turn brown once it becomes an adult.

Jace

I like it when I get a chance to learn something new-thanks Terry!

DanikaMilles

Ok that's what I thought you meant but wasn't my question about the age the start to turn. Or maybe a better question is at what age are they considered adults. I am just trying to figure out my frogs age.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DanikaMilles View Post
    Ok that's what I thought you meant but wasn't my question about the age the start to turn. Or maybe a better question is at what age are they considered adults. I am just trying to figure out my frogs age.
    That's a difficult question to answer. I found an article in Terralog, a German magazine devoted to terrarium animals on the peacock tree frog. The article was written in early 2010 and the author admitted that there isn't much known about the species. I hope that someone else may have an idea.

DanikaMilles

Thank you so much for trying. Maybe you can answer something else for me. How do you get the signature picture to work? I shrank it down but I don't see it appearing. I want a picture of my Ninja.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

To set up your avatar:

1. Click on the User CP link at the top of forum page
    2. Scroll down to Settings and Options
    3. Click on Edit Avatar
    4. Scroll down to the Custom Avatar section
    5. Upload your image

To set up your signature:
    Select Edit Signature instead of Edit Avatar

You may have to resize your image if it's too large.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

DanikaMilles

Smile Re: Hi

Ok thanks so much

Thread Information