Thread: Reptile terrariums

Julia

Default Reptile terrariums

Made a short video update on my reptiles and their homes. Feel free to have a look...there are 2 bearded dragons, 2 veiled chameleons, 1 plumed basilisk, and 1 cuban knight anole. Enjoy!

YouTube - Octcages

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Reptile terrariums

Julia, that was really great-thank you for sharing. Zeus is a very majestic looking fellow and I love his setup. Your rescue chameleon is looking very good-have you decided on a name yet? I have never heard of a cuban knight anole before, but they look much bigger than the anoles I usually come across in my local petstores. Love your setups!

Kurt

That was very nice, especially the Basilisk tank.

Julia

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Julia, that was really great-thank you for sharing. Zeus is a very majestic looking fellow and I love his setup. Your rescue chameleon is looking very good-have you decided on a name yet? I have never heard of a cuban knight anole before, but they look much bigger than the anoles I usually come across in my local petstores. Love your setups!
    Thanks Jo Anna! Zeus and I had a little "fight" yesterday. I was cleaning his cage and while the top was off he decided to go for a little run around the room. This is not a big deal because the room is already ferret proof so its safe. When I finished cleaning I still had my rubber gloves on and made the mistake of picking him up before taking them off. It freaked him out and he bit me VERY hard on the hand. It went through the glove and was bleeding!!!! I did manage to get him back in the tank...but he was so upset he spent the day with his head underwater. I felt so bad!!!

I am still thinking on a name for "baby girl" Im thinking Bella, Lilly or Ella...something along those lines!

Jace

Oh, poor Zeus! I hope the bite is okay and that Zeus is back to his normal self quickly. I kind of chuckled at the image of his head underwater all day...sorry...

I like all of those names-tough choice! I am sure whichever one you pick will be perfect. She has amazing colour in the video and looks like she is filling out nicely. Great job!

jjmorton13

Great enclosures, and a beautiful basilisk. I have considered getting one before but I have heard that they never tame that well. I still might venture that way some day since they are awesome to look at. I guess I wouldn't be able to complain considering I have a veiled chameleon that I can't put my hands close to (Wild caught in Florida - they are considered an invasive species here) in addition to a Pyxie. I caught a brown basilisk (Basiliscus vittatus) once, but they are nothing in comparison to the plumed. Thanks again for sharing!

Julia

Quote Originally Posted by jjmorton13 View Post
    Great enclosures, and a beautiful basilisk. I have considered getting one before but I have heard that they never tame that well. I still might venture that way some day since they are awesome to look at. I guess I wouldn't be able to complain considering I have a veiled chameleon that I can't put my hands close to (Wild caught in Florida - they are considered an invasive species here) in addition to a Pyxie. I caught a brown basilisk (Basiliscus vittatus) once, but they are nothing in comparison to the plumed. Thanks again for sharing!
    They are not animals that are okay with being handled...but they are so beautiful I dont mind. I have my tank set up on the main floor of my house and it makes a nice display. Basilisks are great because they never hide. They sit out in the open and almost seem to "pose" when people stick their heads close to have a look. I guess you are used to that if you have a WC Chameleon. My captive breed one is super aggressive, I cant imagine how unfriendly a WC would be. I would love to see pictures of your guy!!!

Jace

A petstore close to my gets "Pygmy Chameleons" in frequently. Do you know anything about them? Like how big they actually get or care requirements? Also, what are the chances they are WC?

Julia

Pygmy Chameleons are small, closer to the size of a whites tree frog (depending on the species of pygmy.) They are easier to care for because they can be kept in a glass terrarium, but the thing that keeps me from buying them is that they dont live very long. From what I have read they only live 2 or 3 years. But they are very cute!

Chances of being wild caught is about 50/50.

Jace

They are very cute and seem to be fairly active. I didn't realize they had a short lifespan though. Thanks for the info!

Thread Information