Thread: Help i think my frog has mites!

Hannah

Unhappy Help i think my frog has mites!

Ive had my frog for a couple of months now and ive never kept any type of trog or toad before, and everything is new to me!
    Yesterday i found LOADS little white mites in his water bowl. Im guessing they are mites? I cleaned the water bowl out and today there are still a few in there but no where near as many! My frog seems fine and hes eating more than enough.

What should i do about these white things? Where did they come from and why? Are they harmful to my frog? Should i clean him out or treat it with something? Is it to wet or to dry?

PLEASE HELP!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Malachi

Default Re: Help i think my frog has mites!

I would guess spring tails or some other decomposer? What type of soil is it?

jjmorton13

Do you feed crickets? When I used to feed crickets I would occasionally see dozens of tiny, tiny baby crickets in the water portion of my pyxie's tank. If any crickets go uneaten and lay eggs, or eggs get thrown in the tank with the crickets, they can develop seemingly over night. Plus, most mites that infect reptiles are really small, close to microscopic. I don't know that you would see them if they got into the water.

Jace

Hannah, they could very well be mites and are usually harmless. Unfortunately, they will come and go. Just keep an eye on it and continue to clean the waterdish and maintain the habitat. If you are able, take a picture of them and post it so we can get a positive I.D. for you and ease any concerns.

Hannah

Thankyou guys for your replies!

Righ the soil i use is the one that comes dry in a block and turns to soil as it gets wet! Sorry i cant remember the name of it and i dnt have the packet any more .

I think that they could have come from the crickets, coz i dnt like picking them up so i normaly get the cardboard that they are on and shake them off into my frogs tank lol, and sometimes some bits from the bugs tank goes in aswell!

I didnt get a pic and they have gone now woop woop! But i will next time if they come back. I cleaned him out and put him into a new bigger tank yesterday and they havent returned!

Do you guys think this will become a common problem? Or is there anything i can do to prevent any type of mites or cricket eggs?

Thankyou x

P.s how do i put a pic by my name?

noob

its eco earth thats the substrate your using keep using that. yea the little white bugs you found are mostly from crickets its happened to me a time or 2. i just clean out the tank and replace the dirt they cant hurt the frog or anything. i got mine because i leave the crickets over night in the tank my pacman eats them thats why i do that. so pretty much just clean out the tank totally change the dirt and you will be fine

TypingMonkey

Hope this helps.

Well there are a few things you can do. The best in my opinion would be feeding night crawlers instead of crickets.
    But if you still want to feed crickets, make sure you tong feed them and that none are left roaming around the cage.

Sometimes what happens when crickets are left in the cage, they will lay eggs, BUT they will also nip at your frog.

Now some other things you might encounter will be humidity flies. These if they land on a water dish will drown, but other wise fly, but they don't do anything to the frogs, they eat the fungus that's in the substrate, so when the problem gets too big, you should change the substrate with new. A few of them don't hurt though, and you might even get them from the start too.

Thread Information