Thread: Grey Tree Frog..winter coming...

Darlene79

Default Grey Tree Frog..winter coming...

Hi there My name is Darlene, I found the cuties little Grey Tree Frog back in summer and have kept it since.I have a pertty good set up for her w the gauges and heat lamp. A few days ago I was at a local pet store, and asked if it was nesessary for grey tree frogs to hibernate. I was told that yes, otherwise they could die. I was instructed to not feed her for 3-4 days and then put her in my cold room of the refrigerator for about 3-4 months to simulate the winter. I thought the guy at the pet store was out of his mind!!! How ever, I really don"t want her to die if she doesn't hiberate. Yet I don't want to simulate season change, put her in the fridge and not have her wake up! Help please!!

Default Re: Grey Tree Frog..winter coming...

i wouldnt try i twithout consult of a vet
    African Bullfrogs, Clawed Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Bearded Dragons,

Hi Darlene and welcome!

I've seen many, many Gray treefrogs make it through the the winters here without hibernating while living in our greenhouse. So I don't see not going through a cooling period as being a problem. I keep my own Grays at room temps during the winter, and they made it through last winter just fine.

You might want to read the "Breeding" section in the Gray treefrog article on this site (link is to the left) if you do want some info on how to cool them for the winter (you should read it anyway- it's all good stuff!!).

Rae

I will check and see what the petsmart here says! I have had the unique pleasure of adopting a wild grey tree frog 2 nights ago and will need to know this too =D I will let you know what I find out

Rae

So I checked with both the pet store and reptile store about hibernation and both seem to agree unless you tend on useing them for breeding theres no need to change indoor climate for seasons and may actually do more damage trying to induce it.

Keep it at a comfy 70 to 80 degrees and humidy and it should fair the winter fine. So I've been told but I'm no expert and its all hearsay.

Thread Information