Thread: New Vivarium

Lee

Default New Vivarium

First time posting at this site and I must say wow, thanks for all the great info you all have provided me. Now that I said that I hope that I didnt do anything wrong with my final project of a vivarium.

So pretty much I started out with my first idea of using the foam idea and creating a background out of that, with great stuff. I used cups to create a few places for plants and foamed away. Pretty much the most messy way of creating anything as the foam likes to get all over. I then used some latex to put on moss and other coverings from my local pet store which turned out great, at least for the weekend. After the weekend and the foam did its curing I noticed that it cracked in areas and receded from the tank. I did my best to get by this by having a bases of aquarium sealant for the foam to stick to. It worked to some degree.

After a few days of thinking I decided to go with another way that someone on this forum attacked the background idea. I decided to use a already formed foam and cover it with a cement mix from the hardware store. This worked much better and I was able to attach it to the back of the tank with little issues. I carved two areas for plants to be planted as well as a location for a waterfall and tubing for the water fall. i used a pump made for fish aquariums that is low speed and low noise to push the water from the bottom to the top. I am also using jungle boxes converters for my tank to finish it up.

Anyways I want to thank everyone for the help that you posted on the forums and would like your feedback.

Thanks,

Lee
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

LittleDuudeIsAGirl

Default Re: New Vivarium

Ive never made a background before but that looks amazing!

Welcome to the forum glad to be the first to say that you will get so much good advice from polite, understanding, and truly amazing people..they really know their stuff. Also they dont force stuff on you they help you with your problems and not scold you if you make a mistake..they show you (tell you) how you can fix it.

So welcome! (:

Hi Lee and welcome to the forum!

It looks nice! What kind of frog(s) are you planning to put in it?

If you haven't already, you might want to check out this thread http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...ng-im-new.html which contains some great info about cement backgrounds (provided by SludgeMunkey). A concern is letting the cement cure sufficiently to prevent it from messing up the pH, mixing cement + straight acrylic fortifier seems to fix this issue. If you went with cement + water, you may need a fair bit of curing time.

Lee

Hi all,

I put two blue dart frogs in there. They seem to be doing well so far and enjoying life. Everything seems to be holding up good too so far.

Thanks for all your help!

Thread Information