Thread: HELP! WTF with bloody stool!?

IgbyKibbits

Default HELP! WTF with bloody stool!?

Quick background: Igby has been sick for about three weeks now. She's had radiographs, fecal/skin cultures. Symptoms include loss of appetite (we've had to forcefeed), excessive shedding, bright splotches on the skin.

Fecal culture came back with positive hits for bad stuff (she didn't tell me), and we've been treating with baytril for the two weeks since. In addition, we are on our 8th day of Chytrid treatment (with lamisil baths).

Tonight when we were cleaning the quarantine tank, we found blood on the paper towels. This is the first time in three weeks that we've seen bloody discharge. There are no open sores on the skin, and no indication that the blood is coming from her mouth/nose. The only thing that we can think of is that she is passing the blood from her digestive system.

Any ideas? Anything we can do?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: HELP! WTF with bloody stool!?

Treating with Baytril indicates a bacterial infection. If treating aggressively I would expect to find blood in the stool. The vet should tell you what they are treating for....I would be curious to know.

IgbyKibbits

Default Re: HELP! WTF with bloody stool!?

Thank you for your quick reply. Her exact explanation was that the fecal culture "grew lots of icky stuff." I will be sure to ask for the exact positive hits when I speak to her tomorrow, and post what I find out.

Thread Information