Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a new one!

Jace

Default Building a new one!

Hey everyone. Thanks to John for putting in this new section for us! Especially since I am currently creating a 25 gallon vivarium for my fire bellies...complete with live plants! Just wondering what kind of light I should set up for the plants.

As well, I have the opportunity to get a 55 gallon that I want to set up as a vivarium as well. I would like to try something new-either frog or salamander and was just wondering if other members could give me some suggestions on easy to care for species and how many I can put into a tank that size.

Thanks for any input!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Building a new one!

I have the best luck with either standard T8 florescent, or regular old florescent freshwater aquarium lights.

It really depends on what plants you chose though.

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
    I have the best luck with either standard T8 florescent, or regular old florescent freshwater aquarium lights.

It really depends on what plants you chose though.
    Thanks! I'll track one down next time I'm at the pet store.

I'm going to look for plants that are hardy, non toxic and will stay relatively green even if I do go near them-I don't have the best luck with plants other than bamboo. It might be trial and error for a bit!!

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    As well, I have the opportunity to get a 55 gallon that I want to set up as a vivarium as well. I would like to try something new-either frog or salamander and was just wondering if other members could give me some suggestions on easy to care for species and how many I can put into a tank that size.

Thanks for any input!
    You're welcome. You could set that 55 up for a dart frog, rubber frog, or mantella species. Build a false bottom (see my red-eye care article for more info.) and plant it heavily with bromeliads and other tough ardy plants. Have a few pieces of plate glass cut to the inside dimensions of the tanks frame. Leave a space for ventalation. Stuff that space with a folded up paper towel to keep fruit flies in.

Jace

Thanks Kurt. I'll do some research on those suggestions and go from there. I am also looking into salamanders. Rubber frog was high on my list too! And thanks for setting up this Vivarium forum.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Thanks Kurt. I'll do some research on those suggestions and go from there. I am also looking into salamanders. Rubber frog was high on my list too! And thanks for setting up this Vivarium forum.

Thank John, it was his doing. Rubber frogs are still pretty inexpensive and Phrynomantis bifasciatus are quite common. They are not as active as darts or mantellas, but they are still fun to watch, especially when they are eating.

Most salamanders do not make good dispaly animals.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Thank John, it was his doing.
    Thank Johnny (Sludgemunkey), it was his idea.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jace

Thank John, it was his doing. Rubber frogs are still pretty inexpensive and Phrynomantis bifasciatus are quite common. They are not as active as darts or mantellas, but they are still fun to watch, especially when they are eating.

Most salamanders do not make good dispaly animals.
    After some research, I think salamanders are not an option, interesting as they are. So far it's a toss between mantellas and rubber frogs. I will have to do some more reading on both to decide. Thanks for the advice!

And thanks to Johnny (SludgeMunkey) for this forum suggestion. Already been very helpful!

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Tiger Salamanders make good terrestrial display animals if they are tame. Most newt/salamander species that are good display animals are aquatic.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Well, rubber frogs are generally cheaper, so you can get a decent size population with putting yourself in the poor house.

Jace

Well, rubber frogs are generally cheaper, so you can get a decent size population with putting yourself in the poor house.
    How many could I comfortably house in a 55 gallon?

Kurt

I am thinking at least ten.

Jace

Wow, that many?? That would be kind of neat, actually. I am really interested in White's tree frogs as well. I know they like taller habitats taller rather than wider, but could the 55 gallon work for them?

Kurt

It could, providing they have good ventalation. I am guessing you would have room for 4 - 5, no problem.

Jace

Thanks Kurt. Appreciate the advice. It's now a toss up between the White's and the Rubber frogs. Decisions decisions.

Kurt

Everybody has White's. Be different!

chumpy100

i dont have any white's =p what are rubber frogs like?

Kurt

They are small Microhylid frogs of the genus Phrynomantis. There five species, the most common in herpeculture is the red-banded rubber frog, Phrynomantis bifasciatus. It is also known as the red-banded crevice creeper, Tanzinian red-banded walking frog, and so on. Frogs of this genus have a tendency to look like a hybrid of frog and salamander. Being toxic and slow-moving they are brightly colored.

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...is+bifasciatus

The other rubber frog that is sometimes availible is the West African rubber frog or Ghana fire frog, Phrynomantis microps

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...mantis+microps

I have both species in my collection.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well, you have me sold on them Kurt. It appears to be the exact type of exotic frog I have been looking for.

Jace

Everybody has White's. Be different!
    You have a point there. Don't rubber frogs like to burrow though? I am looking for something that will be seen and admired. They are interesting looking frogs though...I'll check out the sites you suggested. I'm just wondering if they are available here in Canada. I like the fact they are from Africa, though-fits in with my collection rather nicely .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information