Thread: I need some serious help with my whites!

IRObot

Exclamation I need some serious help with my whites!

My wife and I got two WTFs from petco for our 3 year old daughter to look at a few months ago. I must say the little guys have grown on me and one is worring me to DEATH! Our larger frog quit eating 2 weeks ago and got very lazy. A few days ago I found it looking like death on the floor by its water dish. I picked it up and it was climbing my hand, but looked sooo skinny. I seperated it into a smaller tank and tried some crickets and then waxworms with no success. i took her to the local exotic pet store where they told me to seal some ringers off my ambulance for a war electorlyte bath and gave me some meds for worms. I followed the orders, keeping the new home extra clean. My wife put in a cricket in today and had no luck but i looked in and noticed the little jerk was hanging around my frog too much, so i pulled her out and noticed little marks on her toes... i feel soooo bad! On top of that her skin is mottled brown/green splotchy looking and it somes off! almost like shes sheading, but with none of the signs i've read about. i've always kept the humidity 70-80 and the temps around 75 at night and 85 daytime with uvb light. she does have some recent orange splotches on the bottom of her belly and legs... does any one have any suggestions? I'll tru to get pictures tomorrow... thanks so much!
    FORGOT!! I also found a white mold like subatance on some poop and the moss about the time she quit eation. it almost looked like tiny webs of some kind...
    Last edited by IRObot; September 27th, 2010 at 01:43 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: I need some serious help with my whites!

I am one of the few on the Forum that does not own a single White's, but I can understand your concern. In this case, a picture will really help. Do you have a vet you can take your frog to? It sounds like it might need some extra assistant that only a vet could provide. Sometimes frogs come with parasites that we aren't aware of until they get sick. If they are caught early enough, they can be successfully treated. Best of luck and I hope it all works out.

IRObot

My wife will not let me spend the money to take her to the vet. I'm hoping my local exotic pet store can hook me up with a wide spectrum antibiotic that may help with both fungal and bacterial infections.

keith123toad

Hi
    I had a simular experience with a whites tree frog and sadly it was not a happy ever after ending.The frog developed greeny /blue spots or blotches and they are apparently known as neon spots.I discovered a thread regarding the ailment on a reptile forum (sorry I cannot remember what forum).If your frog has greeny/blue neon type spots then maybe this is a fatal condition for whites tree frogs!
    I am sorry to be on a downer, but I know what its like to be concerned over a pet frogs well being.
    Keith

IRObot

The spots arn't really bright. It's like she's trying to turn green but most parts want to turn brown. I'll try to post some pictures today. I have to get her out to take her to the exotic pet store to have them look at her. They're really good about taking care of people.

keith123toad

Best of luck with your pet
    I hope the help and advice you receive ends with success.
    Keith

IgbyKibbits

IRORobot -

We lost our Kibbits to this, and are currently battling this with our little Igby.

We had a skin biopsy done today on the spots, but I hate to say that I suspect Chytrid. Reason being? With Kibbits, we did a complete skin culture series/fecal culture testing. We treated for everything that came up...and while there was some improvement, the spots gradually got bigger. When he passed away, he had one large "splotch" covering half of his face

There is a treatment that has been shown to help using Lamisil AT spray. We have started this treatment with Igby (in addition to treating with Baytril after getting some positive hits) on the fecal culture.

I will be sure to post the results of the skin biopsy, but I will say this: since starting the Chytrid treatment, the spots have started to diminish (it's been seven days now). In all the antibiotic rounds we have done with both frogs (Igby and Kibbits), we have never seen a change in the "spots" until now. I am hoping that is a good sign.

Best of luck to you! I'm so sorry to hear that other owners have had the same heartache as myself : (

IRObot

We just went to the vet today. He thinks its impaction. I plan on trying the lotramin just in case. Vet gave him some oral antibiotics and sent us home. I hope we can fix him... Thanks por all the tips. You guys are great!

IgbyKibbits

IRO -

Great to hear that you got him into the vet, and I truly hope it is just a case of impaction.

Honestly, I would consider the Lamisil treatment just in case. From my understanding, many do it as a precaution, especially with the splotchiness.

Best of luck!

Kurt

I will second that. Try treating with Lamisil cream (terbinafine hydrochloride) at a mixture of 1 ml per 200 ml of distilled water. I like to mix it up 24 hours before I need it, just so the cream fully disolves. Use a small container with a lid in which to soak the frog. It should not be much bigger that the actual frog. Soak the frog daily for 10 mintues daily over a period of ten days. This should handle any fungle infection of the skin. I would soak both frogs two, just to be on the safe side, and clean out the original tank. Sterilze what you can, toss the rest. It would be a very good idea to treat what ever waste coming out of the enclosure with bleach before tossing it. That if chytrid is indeed present, the bleach will kill it and prevent from spreading around your neighborhood.

Also could you do us a major favor and post your country and location in your profile. This would a great deal with your situation and any toher that might arise. Thanks.

IgbyKibbits

Just to follow up from Kurt, I've found that the Lamisil Spray AT (available at most local pharmacy's) is easier to use! We, personally, had a hard time getting the lotion form it to "dissolve" prior to use, so it helps significantly to have it in the liquid form.

We've done ten sprays per 200ml of "frog safe" water.

To give you some additional info about our personal Chytrid treatment: we have both frogs currently in quarantine (5 gallon plastic tank), lined with dampened paper towels, a "sitting pond," and somewhere to hide. When one frog is in his bath treatment, we dispose of the towels, and sterilize the quarantine tank/decorations with boiling water. That way, once the bath is done, they are entering a sterilized environment.

Also, when treating with the lamisil bath, make sure the frog is completely covered. We use a small sterilized syringe to lightly "splash" the exposed area of skin that is not covered by the water level.

OH, and an important lesson: we were doing this normal "quarantine process" and our new little guy got his first "splotch." (No more since then thank god, and we're treating him just in case!) The only thing that we could imagine (given the lengths of sterilization, latex glove switches, etc.) was that he had somehow been cross-contaminated by uneaten crickets that had been placed in Igby's cage, not eaten, and then placed in Quibble's cage.

Now, unfortunately, if we place a cricket in either cage...and it is uneaten (before the treatment is complete),...we're "disposing" of them. Makes me sad but I'd much rather be safe about it, than think there are other frogs out there that might run into an exposed cricket.
    Last edited by IgbyKibbits; September 28th, 2010 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Clarification

IRObot

I checked on him this morning and he was BRIGHT green all over and climbing! I even noticed some little poop on the bottom. I thought i'd try to feed him tonight because he was doing sooo much better. I just went to feed him and he was cold DEAD! My little girl keeps asking me where her sick froggie is...

Jace

I am sorry to hear... It's sometimes suprising how these little frogs can capture our hearts and when they suddenly leave us, it can be hard, especially for kids. I hope your other frog is doing okay and hugs to your litle girl.

IRObot

we just fed him and gave him the antifungal bath. He climbs all over her! how can he be so healthy when he was the small skinny sickly looking one when we got them?

IgbyKibbits

First, I'm so sorry to hear about your (and your little girl's) loss. It really is heartbreaking when you've grown attached and I completely understand that loss, even when it's just a little frog!

I'm very glad to know your other little frog is doing okay. It is amazing the difference in "fight" from frog to frog. Our little Kibbits held on for two months (being the sickly one), and little Igby, who just two weeks ago was gobbling down anything in sight, seems to be going downhill fast.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can to ensure the health of the surviving frog, and I hope that in time you can find a nice companion to join him/her!

Let your little girl know that there are a bunch of people that are remembering her little frog!

charlamanda

[QUOTE=IRObot;35400]
    Sorry about your frog. I took in 2 very very thin Gray Tree froglets, see pic, I named Baby and Tiny. I did everything I could and folowed any advice I was given, including pedialyte baths, buying fruit flies fron Josh's frogs and leaving them alone, covering the cage to decrease stress. Tiny died and it was heartbreaking, but I didn't have to explain it to a child, I don't envy you. Baby has really made a dramatic recovery and has a new froglet companion, Mr. Hoppy, who has a deformed leg. They are very happy together and "cuddle" together often, see pic.
    Best of luck with your other frog and I am so sorry for your loss.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Kurt

So sorry.

bshmerlie

I have a little girl too and she is very attatched to our frogs. It would be very difficult to explain the loss. Our prayers are with you.

Thread Information