Thread: Growing

puck

Default Growing

I've had my little guy, puck, for a few months now. he hasn't grown a whole lot and he hardly eats. he will not eat crickets, but will sometimes take mealworms or a wax worm from me. i have him on jungle mix that i soaked in water. i have a dripper on him and a household 40 watt light bulb on him. he has a plant but i'm not sure what kind it is. he also has a few fake plants. lately he's been getting this film over him that gets some of the dirt stuck to him. i bathe him to get it off and to just let him soak. he squealed at me today. that was a first. anyways, the film sometimes goes over his eyes, around his mouth and back. i've read that it can be normal, but i'm not sure. can anyone point me in the direction of good, easy setups for pacmans?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

John911

Default Re: Growing

Quote Originally Posted by puck View Post
    I've had my little guy, puck, for a few months now. he hasn't grown a whole lot and he hardly eats. he will not eat crickets, but will sometimes take mealworms or a wax worm from me. i have him on jungle mix that i soaked in water. i have a dripper on him and a household 40 watt light bulb on him. he has a plant but i'm not sure what kind it is. he also has a few fake plants. lately he's been getting this film over him that gets some of the dirt stuck to him. i bathe him to get it off and to just let him soak. he squealed at me today. that was a first. anyways, the film sometimes goes over his eyes, around his mouth and back. i've read that it can be normal, but i'm not sure. can anyone point me in the direction of good, easy setups for pacmans?
    1. What is jungle mix?
    2. I dont think a household bulb is very good for them. My sister had an iguana she cooked with one back in the day. It probably kills the humidity that your pacman needs. Which is why he might be developing that film, to keep his moisture in and protect himself.
    3. The plant, some are not safe for frogs.

I would dump the household light, you can get proper heat lights for under 10-15 bucks. They dont need a basking light like a lizard. I just keep mine in eco earth(buy the bricks, cut them in half depending on enclosure size) Or do a heat pad. Usually they say dont put the pad on the bottom because they can get burned.

Do you mist his enclosure? Grab a bottle at home depot for 96 cents and fill it with distilled water.

Cover the top partially with some type of glass or even plastic wrap. Keep the moisture in.

spec

Do you have a thermometer and a hygrometer (humidity guage) ?if not, get one, watch it closely. I try to keep my hygrometer at about 70-85% humidity. If you leave the light on for too long you'll definately cook all the moisture out of the air. Is your waterbowl too high for him to see the water? if so, make it the same level as the substrate. How often are you trying to feed him? I generaly wait until he's out and about, means he's hungry usually. Mine likes this hollowed out , half of a log. he's allways burrowing under it. I've had my since july sometime and he's a freakin monster now. Next time you see that stuff all over him let him eat it, it's what i've read anyways. It's kind of like a moisture barrier that he uses when he's too dry or he could have been simply shedding. it's ok if he eats it.

puck

so i took everything out. put in eco-earth, a shallow dish under the new 40 watt red heat bulb, put a heat pad on the back of the tank, took out the plant, and put in fake plants. i stuck him in the dish of water, so he knows its there. i'll keep a water bottle next to the tank so i spray him every day. i keep a cold room at night, should i leave his light on 24/7 or turn it off at night? he gets sunlight shining through during the day, so that keeps it light in there. i also put cling wrap on half of the lid to keep humidity in. any other suggestions? i have some reptaid, would it be ok to give him a drop of it? maybe perk him up? because he does not like to eat, and i don't know why.

John911

The sun could overheat him thru the glass. Everything else sounds good.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

puck

Quote Originally Posted by John911 View Post
    The sun could overheat him thru the glass. Everything else sounds good.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

no, i mean he gets light in the room. he's not anywhere near the window. sorry, didn't make myself clear.

Eel Noob

What's the temperature in enclosure or room? Just throwing this out there but could it be trying to aestivate?

noob

i would keep the light on for 12 hrs get a reptile 40 wat bulb that will give him what he needs and its not to overpowering strong i wouldnt use a red one thats for night . if u have a night light for him dont use it only keep a day light on him for 12 hrs. make sure you have the eco earth moist enough not sobbing wet the temp should be around 80 highest would be 82. i like to keep a few real plants and a fake plant just for the shade and added humidity. i had a problem with the humidity but i took a piece of plastic and put it on top and that made a difference

puck

the temp in my room at night is usually what the temp is outside, maybe a few degrees higher. its about in the 50's at night now. the temp in his cage before i switched everything was about 75 or so, but i had the thermometer inside the tank on the back. what's a good plant to put in there? his humidity is 80 right now. the dirt isn't soaked, it's moist. i dumped most of the water out before i put it in the cage.

puck

his humidity has gone down alot since i took out the real plant. so i need some real ones to put back in. what types are good to put in there?

Thread Information