Thread: How long do I wait to put Baby in the big tank?

charlamanda

Default How long do I wait to put Baby in the big tank?

Right now Baby is about an inch. The Gray's in the 33gal tank range from slighly < 1" to 1 1/2" in nap mode all tucked up, but very chubby. Here is a pic of Baby on 9/23 to get a better idea of size.
    I'd like to put Baby in the tank with the rest of the group, but I also have the option to move him/her to a 10gal in the mean time. The tank there in, Baby and Mr. Hoppy, is about 2-3gal and I feel like they are both large enough they need more space.
    When the weather is nice I bring them outside and let them climb and hang out on a potted tree on the deck. They really seem to enjoy it and will cooperate with me when I take them out of their current tank.
    I want to be sure if I put them in the 33gal tank they will be ok. So far there has not been any problems and they seem to have plenty of room.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Eel Noob

Default Re: How long do I wait to put Baby in the big tank?

Only you'll be able to answer this but do you think it's big and well enough to compete with the other frogs and able to hunt in a larger enviroment?

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    Only you'll be able to answer this but do you think it's big and well enough to compete with the other frogs and able to hunt in a larger enviroment?
    That's a big concern of mine since I have fruit flies in the current tank 24/7 and he/she has not, as far as I know, eaten anything other than that. I did leave several small crickets in their tank and they had been eaten, but Mr. Hoppy does eat crickets, so it may have been that frog and not Baby. If I do put Baby in the large tank I would tank him/her out for feeding until I am sure he/she is able to eat crickets and can compete with the other frogs. I started using cricket bowls and don't let them wonder unless they escape , which several have, this way I can watch who is eating. Since this is a new concept, eating from the bowls, when I put the bowls in I find the froglets and bring them down to the bowl. The last few feedings some were actually waiting around where the bowl is placed, but others don't seem to be interested and I still carry them down to the bowls and will continue until they understand this new arrangement.
    Baby seems to be doing very, very well. When I have him/her outside on the potted tree, he/she climbs and jumps and looks healthy. Baby, I don't believe, was ever sick, just thin due to the rain, cold and lack of food.
    I am just not sure when would be an appropriate time to move them into the 33 gal tank?
    I am thinking that moving them into the 10 gal first and waiting until Baby is eating crickets regularly maybe the best time for the transition, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear them please!!!!

IgbyKibbits

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions regarding the transition (since I've never had frogs that small), but I had to post that I'm so glad Baby is doing so well!!!

I hope you find some good advice : )

Kurt

You may put baby in, only if he/she is not small enough to become a meal, that is as long as he/she is going with others of his/her species.

Thread Information