Thread: Hellow fellow frog keepers!

chris2pher

Default Hellow fellow frog keepers!

this is my first pixie.. if the setup looks bad let me know... i have a heat pad under the right side and the water bowl on the cool side with a 60 watt light over head..

Jace

Default Re: Hellow fellow frog keepers!

Welcome to the Forum and very nice looking frog. I would be careful of heat pads as these frogs like to burrow and they can very easily burn if their skin comes into contact with the pad. As well, your soil looks on the dry side-do you mist regularly? I have three African Giants myself, and they are amazing frogs to have. Does yours have a name?

chris2pher

Welcome to the Forum and very nice looking frog. I would be careful of heat pads as these frogs like to burrow and they can very easily burn if their skin comes into contact with the pad. As well, your soil looks on the dry side-do you mist regularly? I have three African Giants myself, and they are amazing frogs to have. Does yours have a name?
    what should i do about the heat pad ? my house is cold i need a heater ..should i put the water bowl over the heated side ?

the soil is damp .. i mist every day

?

Jace

How cold? I keep mine at room temperature year round, and my house can be quite chilly, especially in the mornings. It slows down their metabolism, and they may dig down a bit more, but otherwise, I haven't experienced any negative outcomes. If you would really like heat, a low wattage heat lamp over one side of the tank would be sufficient. Your frog will decide where it wants to park and can go back and forth if need be. I would keep the water on the non-heated side, otherwise it will evaporate too quickly and your frog looks like he or she enjoys a good soak! Then again, who doesn't?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the Forum. That's a nice frog. I think you will find lots of info and fellow froggers who keep Pixies. There is a care article with a link on the left-hand column (African Bullfrogs) and an entire sub-forum dedicated to Pixies.
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Thread Information