Thread: Green Treefrog (Hyla cinerea) questions

Default Green Treefrog (Hyla cinerea) questions

Hi, I'm finally getting around to getting an inhabitant for the vivarium I set up nearly 3 months ago. It's roughly 12"x12"x20" (tall) and set up with a treefrog in mind. Old pics are here http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...-enclosed.html , the Pothos and ivy have done a fair bit of growing and the moss looks, well, still alive, so now is as good a time as any for a frog to move in.

I've been leaning towards a Green Treefrog and I have read as many care sheets as possible and understand their care is similar to Gray treefrogs (which I currently have), but still have a few questions.

1) What are good summer and winter temps? Is it better/healhier for them to go through a brumation period in the winter? (I don't plan to breed)

2) How large a cricket can an adult Green treefrog typically tackle?

3) Is 60-70% humidity reasonable? (a water dish will be available as well)

4) I plan on only getting one, unless they are somehow social (very much unlike grays), is a ~13 gallon tank sufficient for a lone frog?

5) How loud is a calling male? (compared to a gray, or a spring peeper say)

6) Is there any hope of obtaining a captive bred Green treefrog or are they all wild caught?

7) How do you pronounce "cinerea"? (So I don't sound like a tool)

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Green Treefrog (Hyla cinerea) questions

I just got two adult Green Treefrogs two weeks ago, so I can't fully answer your questions, however I will try with a couple of them. I feed mine 2-3 week crickets; these Treefrogs are bigger than I expected they would be and they have no problems handling larger crickets. I've noticed, too, that they don't eat as much as say, my Pacific Chorus frogs who will eat everything in sight the same night....my GTFs tend to space out the crickets more. I have no idea if they are social, but because my pair (male/female) were together at the petstore for over a year, I was offered a 2 for 1 deal and I couldn't pass it up. They don't necessarily interact, but they don't totally avoid each other either. Last night was the first night I actually got a pic of them together in the water dish. Finally, Elton, my male, is LOUD! He does not call as frequently as my PCF, but when he does, he easily drowns out Yoki, the FBTs in the kitchen, and has woken up the house on one occassion. Oh, and I try and keep my humidity at about 60% and they seem to like it; regular room temp during the day and low wattage heat lamp at night because our house gets cool. It took them almost a full two weeks, but they have settled in nicely. Hope this helps! I quite enjoy them, though they sound like a herd of elephants hunting at night!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I have no idea if they are social, but because my pair (male/female) were together at the petstore for over a year, I was offered a 2 for 1 deal and I couldn't pass it up. They don't necessarily interact, but they don't totally avoid each other either. Last night was the first night I actually got a pic of them together in the water dish.
    I've said that my grays basically treat each other as inanimate furniture, it sounds like greens are the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Finally, Elton, my male, is LOUD! He does not call as frequently as my PCF, but when he does, he easily drowns out Yoki, the FBTs in the kitchen, and has woken up the house on one occassion.
    Nice. I know you haven't had them long, but is Eltons singing reliable? Does misting set him off during the day, or is he only a night time singer? (actually same questions for Yoki for interests sake)

Thanks!

Jace

I honestly don't think Aroha or Elton would care if the other was there or not. It's more amusing for me to have the two of them though, as they are fairly active one it is night and I enjoy watching them.

I have only heard Elton at night, and that was after a fairly heavy misting. The first night was the day I brought them home and I can't even be sure it was him or Yoki mumbling to himself. But the other night, there was no mistaking it was Elton. He seemed to be responding to Yoki, who started calling first, but was easily drowned out. Yoki will call any time, day or night. Most of the time, he makes hiccuping, half calls, like he's complaining or talking to himself, but the night he got Elton going, he was doing a full mating call at the top of his vocal range. I actually recorded it and put it on my Facebook, and the recording does not do it justice at all. Yoki, for his size, can cause a slight ringing if he keeps it up long enough-the two of them together was deafening!

Jace

I have no idea how to attach the video/recording here, otherwise I would post if for you to listen too. Elton has only called for sure once in the two weeks I've had him; Yoki calls pretty much every day at some point or another....a good cricket meal can keep him going on and off for several hours!!

Thread Information