Thread: Gray Tree Froglets are calling!!

charlamanda

Default Gray Tree Froglets are calling!!

Today it's really warm, in the 80's and yesterday am was down to 34'F. As I am sitting outside on the deck and computer i am hearing odd chirping like a small dogs yapping bark. I don't recognize the sound so I went to investigate and sure enough they are the little Gray Tree froglets.
    Over the past few years it is not uncommon for the adult Gray Tree frogs to call and even come down and call in the pool in the fall. It's usually after the temp was cold for a while and then warmed up drastically. I am very surprised that it is the froglets that are chirpping. The 2 I found are not even an inch, here are pics of the chirping froglets.
    It is really cute listening to them try to use their little voices.
    It now has gotten dark and looks like it's going to rain, it has been my observation that the Gray Tree frogs will call during the day when it's going to rain. Can they really tell? Is it normal for them to chirp and or call in the fall when the weather warms?
    And is this surprising that these really tiny froglets are chirping?..don't really sound like the adults, but they do sound similar to the pattern of the call.
    Just curious
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Gray Tree Froglets are calling!!

Interesting stuff - I've never heard juveniles called, but I never kept them for more than a month or two at that age.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Me neither. The calling of the adults under the temperature cylcles you mention doesn't surprise me.

charlamanda

Thanks, surprised me too! Not only do I believe I heard the Gray tree froglets chirping, but I undoubtably heard the peepers as well. Today, Thursday 9/23/10, it is again very warm, at 1pm it's about 79' F and the peepers are peeping away.
    I have an alternate explanation or possiblity for the Gray Tree froglets. Where I found the 2 in question I have also found Wood frogs, since I didn't actually observe them chirp (they however were sitting up, awake during the day, and in a position similar to the adults when calling) since they stopped when I approached them.
    *It is possible the Wood frogs were the ones chirping and the froglets were alerted or awakened from them calling?
    I have only heard the wood frogs croak a few times, mostly when I've handled them and they clicked.
    *Can the Wood frogs croak sound similar to the yapping bark I beleive to be the Gray tree frogs?
    *Can the Gray Tree frogs also perdict or at least be aware of the impending rain? and
    *What's up with the calling before or during rain anyway?
    They almost always will do their shrill call off and on during the day if it going to rain or it is raining, mostly during the spring and early summer when they would normally be calling, but will occassionally will do so at the end of the summer or early fall when the weather warms, like yesterday and today.

Kurt

I have never heard a wood frog call outside of spring. That being said, their call is a "quock quock", almost like a duck.

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I have never heard a wood frog call outside of spring. That being said, their call is a "quock quock", almost like a duck.
    Thanks Kurt, than it wasn't a wood frog, I am going to try to get it on digital rec if it happens again. I think that would be the best way to id. Thanks again.

Thread Information