Thread: My Whites might actually be a black...hole that is.

Rocko

Default My Whites might actually be a black...hole that is.

So being the hyper vigilant paranoid owner that I am, I try to constantly keep tabs on the health of my tree frog. I check for extra redness or lethargy, make sure his tank is clean and water is fresh, but here's the confusing part. Every day he gets fed some crickets or hornworms and like the agile ninja he is, they get gobbled up pretty quickly. The next morning when it's light out, I do my normal inspection of his tank and there's no poo anywhere. It's been this way for a week or so. I was under the impression that typically frogs stop eating when they get impacted or the like. I guess my question is how "regular" are these guys and should I be concerned.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: My Whites might actually be a black...hole that is.

My frogs poop everyday. Maybe your....missing it. Maybe he's embarrased that you're studying his poop and he's hiding it. I'd might hide mine if someone was looking at it everyday. Although my frogs tend to poop on the frong glass..What do you think they're trying to tell me? Hmmm!

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    My frogs poop everyday. Maybe your....missing it. Maybe he's embarrased that you're studying his poop and he's hiding it. I'd might hide mine if someone was looking at it everyday. Although my frogs tend to poop on the frong glass..What do you think they're trying to tell me? Hmmm!
    Cheri, This is hysterical!!! Oddly mine like pooping on the front glass as well, have are frogs been communicating!!!
    Getting back to the serious matter at hand.....I always find their little poopsies all over. I'd check right after they've eaten, usually as soon as something goes in something comes out very soon!!! Is your frog perching in a spot other than the plants, wood, etc.? Mine found a new perch on the hood and thats were I found the froglet cess pool!
    I am not very experienced with frogs, but I do learn fast and observe constantly. I do however have lots of experience with rabbits who notoriously have intestinal blockages. Usually when they have blockages, as well as with almost all other animals, will stop eating fairly soon after they are unable to pass anything. They stop eating mostly do to to the discomfort and shortly there after will start loosing weight very quickly. Since frogs are small I would think you'd start to notice this wasting soon, but if the frog is still gobbling down food it does seem unlikely it has a blockage. I would definately keep looking for the poops in areas you wouldn't think to look.
    Do you have dirt on the bottom? It may be just be falling to the bottom where it is camoflauged.
    Hope you find froggy poop! I never thought I would ever say that!!! You'll probably find all those missing socks mates that dissapear too!

Rocko

I use river rocks for my substrate and they're various shades of white and tan, so i figured I had an ok shot at finding them, but you're probably right they may just be out of sight. Who knows they might even buried when he's doing whatever it is I hear at 2 am. I guess so long as the eating's good, I won't worry.

I have three White's in my tank, so I'm always finding poop all over, but it's not as much as I would think for the three of them in there and as much as they're eating. So I'm under the impression that I'm missing some. I bet you are too.

If your White was impacted, it is likely that it would stop eating and that it would spend most of his time in the water dish.

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    I use river rocks for my substrate and they're various shades of white and tan, so i figured I had an ok shot at finding them, but you're probably right they may just be out of sight. Who knows they might even buried when he's doing whatever it is I hear at 2 am. I guess so long as the eating's good, I won't worry.
    You may want to check with some of the more experienced owners about using river rocks. There are a few articles here about setting up terrariums and care of White's.
    I would think using some in the tank would be just fine, but it may not hold enough moisture. This is just a thought I wanted to throw out there, I just want you to have the best info and best set up for your froggers. So if anyway reads this can you please give your expert opinion about using the rocks!!!
    I don't know how long you've had your White's frog but, many people also reccomend to have you frog seen by a vet when you get a new frog and or in this situation, which may not be a bad idea and will help you relax.
    Usually beginning around 11:30-12pm mine start to bounce around the tank, it is so funny watching them climb, jump and dangle from the hood and plants.
    Right now I have 10 in a 33gal fish tank, but my Gray Tree Frogs are still froglets and most are around 1". So for now I have them all in one tank. Luckily a friend brought me up another large tank, I am guessing around 35-40gal that I'll put 1/2 in as they get larger. Another friend said he'd also give me some of his tanks ranging from 10 to 50 to 100 gal he used to breed bearded dragons and geckos and also has heat lamps and vitamins, Yeah, I can't wait.
    I am using organic soil for my substrate because I can't find anything else since I live in no mans land and potted plants that were on sale at walmart and a few rocks I had in the fish tank. I am looking to get some wood and other stuff for them to climb on from some of the web sites linked to this site. You may want to browse through too for ideas and stuff to get.
    Good luck and keep us posted how your froggy is doing and what you decide.

Rocko

Well, river rocks as my substrate was misleading, I have a layer of LECA and mesh for a false bottom, covered with the river rocks. Water is cycled from the bottom through a waterfall system and typically my hygrometer reports 65-75% humidity depending on time of day. Between the humidity readings and the soaking area, I am pretty sure he has enough moisture. I appreciate the concern though, I actually used the care sheets on this site before making my purchase. As a side note I have discovered some of his little presents recently so I'm definitely less worried. The vet visit is a good idea, I'll keep that in mind.

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    Well, river rocks as my substrate was misleading, I have a layer of LECA and mesh for a false bottom, covered with the river rocks. Water is cycled from the bottom through a waterfall system and typically my hygrometer reports 65-75% humidity depending on time of day. Between the humidity readings and the soaking area, I am pretty sure he has enough moisture. I appreciate the concern though, I actually used the care sheets on this site before making my purchase. As a side note I have discovered some of his little presents recently so I'm definitely less worried. The vet visit is a good idea, I'll keep that in mind.
    Glad to help, sounds like you did your homework and congrads on the poop. Many people here has advised to bring my frogs to the vet to make sure they are healthy and don't have any parasites, since I took mine in from the wild the chances are they possibly have them so when they get slightly larger and I feel a trip to the vet will cause the least amount of stress..off we will go to the vet! I have 12 right now, but with a pool full of tads who knows how many I will end up bringing and how much it will cost. Best of luck!

IgbyKibbits

Just a quick FYI: So, one of my white's is sick (poor Igby), and being extra vigilant, she was into the vet right away as well!

Nevertheless, we did a round of fecal cultures (highly suggested as a just in case, anyhow)...and the vet estimated that it could take up to three days for a "sample," after feeding that day. SO, that's just a little estimation on how long it might take a little White to....process :P

Hope he's okay!

charlamanda

Very interesting! I expected them to have relatively fast alimentary track! Human's, on average, can be a day or 2, depeding on age, but given that most humans are more active than our lazy little froggers I guess it makes sense. Thanks for the info, I love facts like this!!!

charlamanda

Oh Geez!!!! How is Igby? Your really having alot of issues with your guys? OYE! I've got 12 frogs, 9 bunnies, 3 dogs and 5 cats!!!!! I should worry, shouldn't I and I am on disability, with limited income!! Anyhow, I hope your baby is ok.

IgbyKibbits

Charla -

Haha, now don't count my assessment (from the vet) as entirely scientific, but it was three days. Wow, nothing says "my life is exciting" like anxiously waiting for a frog to...produce

Thanks for the good wishes about Igby. We're doing everything we can for her, especially after losing Kibbits not even a month ago. BUT, our new little guy (Quibble) is active/healthy as ever. He's his own little black hole. I swear, I put in four crickets into the "feeding tank," walk away for a minute, come back, and they are all gone and he's tucked up high in a corner like, "What?" He's having to get his own medicated baths as a precaution (they are both in separate qt tanks and have been since we got him). Boy is he stubborn!!! Nothing is more humbling than spending two hours trying to lure a frog out of a log. ; ) Needless to say, he now gets a sterilized coffee cup to hide in until his treatment is up :P

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by IgbyKibbits View Post
    Charla -

Haha, now don't count my assessment (from the vet) as entirely scientific, but it was three days. Wow, nothing says "my life is exciting" like anxiously waiting for a frog to...produce

Thanks for the good wishes about Igby. We're doing everything we can for her, especially after losing Kibbits not even a month ago. BUT, our new little guy (Quibble) is active/healthy as ever. He's his own little black hole. I swear, I put in four crickets into the "feeding tank," walk away for a minute, come back, and they are all gone and he's tucked up high in a corner like, "What?" He's having to get his own medicated baths as a precaution (they are both in separate qt tanks and have been since we got him). Boy is he stubborn!!! Nothing is more humbling than spending two hours trying to lure a frog out of a log. ; ) Needless to say, he now gets a sterilized coffee cup to hide in until his treatment is up :P
    It's nice to hear what I fantastic mom you are, your babies are very lucky. I know my life is a complete bore, not working can really make you loose your mind, I spend part of my day here!!LOL
    When Baby and Tiny were really bad off I was trying, and I used that term loosely, to get them to stay in the pedialyte bath. Not only cound I not even get them into the bath, but it was almost impossible to get them to stay in it. Finally, I decided to give that up completely, although I left the "bath" in the tank with them, which I never saw them use. I used a syringe wo/needle and put drops directly on them. They would stay in this giant bubble of solution for a long time, it actually completely surrounded their bodies, so at least they were definately getting the pedialyte, which I truely beleive saved Baby, who is now eating very well, but only fruit flies. I would get really excited when the Babes dropped a poo because I knew for sure he was eating. As a pet owner or being a parent it's amazing the things you'll marvel at or get excited over, things you'd never think you would!!!LOL

spazzum

My white's make poop in theire water bowl every now and then they'll poop right infront of the door where i can see it. Also something weird is... My frogs hate my family xD whenever anyone besides me picks up the frogs they try to get away but when i pick them up they love to climb all over me they also know the dail routine... when i open the cage they all hop out of the water bowl so i can pick it up.. when ever i put one in its cage it stays perfectly still on my arm but when i open the cage door it darts into the cage. Do you guys thing that the frog actualy understands whats going on or instinct xD

Thread Information