Thread: A little help?

Paysons Darts

Question A little help?

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to this forum, I've been looking for a forum to pick up some good information on how to start a dart frog tank. I want to create a 10 gallon tank to house a pair. I would like to make a nice backround, and maybe a water dripper going down a log. If anyone could point me in a direction (with pictures and good directions) it would be very appreciated. I've looked everywhere and just cant seem to find anything. I also would appreciate a list of plants that are good to buy for the tank.

Thanks so much!
    Payson!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: A little help?

The species most folks start with are the larger ground dwellers such as Dendrobates auratus, D. tinctorius, and D. leucomelas. There are many varieties (morphs) of auratus and tinctorius (tincs). They are pretty easy to keep and breed readily in the right conditions. However, none of these varieties would have enough room in a 10-gallon tank. Once you construct a background and add plants, there isn't much floor space left. I would advise a 20-gal minimum and I use 29-gallons for my breeding pairs.

You could go with a smaller species that likes vertical space. There is a group referred to as thumbnails and a good beginner frog is Raynitomeya Imitator. There is an excellent care sheet on the left (Imitating Dart Frog Care) written by John Clare (our site Administrator and thumbnail frog expert). A pair can easily be kept in a 10-gallon used in a vertical orientation. You can get conversion kits for 10-gal aquariums. Google "10 gallon vertcial conversion kits" and you will find a few vendors who carry them. This thread is a great step by step instruction for setting up a 10-gal vertical http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...struction.html.

Thumbnails are beautiful and there are quite a few Imitator morphs, but they are generally more expensive than Dendrobates species. With thumbnails you'll spend more on the frogs, but with Dendrobates you'll spend less on the frogs and more to set up a larger vivarium.

If you want an adult sexed pair, you'll spend between $150 and $300 depending on the species and morphs to get quality frogs. Otherwise, you can get froglets, but you'll spend nearly as much to get a group large enough to have a reasonable chance of getting a pair (at least four).

There are tons of caresheets for the various dart frogs. If you google "D. tinctorius care sheet", for example, you will find several sites. I can vouch for this site because I have gotten great frogs there and the site has good care sheets http://www.saurian.net/froginfo_main.html. My advice would be to research and read a lot and decide what type of frog you want first and then design your vivarium around the frogs.

And you'll have willing helpers here to answer any questions.
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Paysons Darts

Thanks, I heard that D. leucomelas pairs do fine in a 10 gallon tank. I would LOVE, to get thumbnails but I would like to find an online breeder I dont know where to start if you could provide me with a breeder I would highly appreciate it.
    Thanks for all your help and advise.
    -Payson

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Jim gave you some awesome info - thanks Jim. You might also want to look at this: http://www.frogforum.net/care-articl...struction.html

Regarding thumbnail breeders, I have 1-2 forms of Ranitomeya imitator available on an ongoing basis. Right now I have 2 races available for sale - Tarapoto and Varadero. I have 3 Tarapoto ready to go and 1-2 Varadero I would sell right now. In a month my other Varadero froglets will be old enough to sell.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

John's frogs are awesome - and it's not just because he's a great photographer. Both the Tarapotos and Veraderos are beautiful little frogs. I'd have a hard time choosing between them myself. I have Imitator Intermedius and they look a lot like the Tarapotos on the body. They have a lot of personality in those little bodies. If I had to choose between my larger species and them, I'd choose them hands down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysons Darts View Post
    Thanks, I heard that D. leucomelas pairs do fine in a 10 gallon tank. I would LOVE, to get thumbnails but I would like to find an online breeder I dont know where to start if you could provide me with a breeder I would highly appreciate it.
    Thanks for all your help and advise.
    -Payson
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Thread Information