Thread: Pacman Flipping?

blkspade

Default Pacman Flipping?

Hey!
    So I've had my pacman for about a month now. Recently i went out of town for a night, and came back to him flipped over. Its been about a week and he flips over every night. I tried leaving the heating pad on the side of the cage, cleaning it, misting more.. Nothing seems to get him to stop. He has only been eating meal worms, but since the last week and the flipping he hasn't been eating. Hes small, only about 2 1/2 - 3 inches. What could it be?

I see people have posted this in other places, and no one seems to know. I even called 2 vets, and they say they never heard of it. Is it that rare?

Thanks in advance!

- Jon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman Flipping?

I have seen this behavior in some species of frogs. I can come up with four reasons: 1) it is an anti-predator response (the "unken reflex") and the predator can be real or perceived; 2) habitat conditions are not to the frog's liking; 3) an injury or disease affecting the frogs sense of balance or 4) he's trying out for the Olympic gymnastics team

I would change the frog's diet to crickets or night crawlers, it is possible that the meal worms are not of high quality or they disagree with the frog's digestive system.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

blkspade

Haha well that makes sense. I always wanted a Olympic frog!

Anyways, I'll try taking him out of the coconut substrate hes in, and putting him just in some moss, or some of that fake grass i see people use with lizards. I guess i'll start there..

And I'll try some crickets again. Since he's had a mealworm, he wont even look at a cricket.

Thanks!

pixiefrogman

If you put him on moss, you'll risk impaction.

blkspade

What do you suggest i do?

This is my first frog and I'm kinda lost.. Just give it time? Or just try that fake grass.

Nationality
    [Portugal]

Hi,
    I have a pac man for almost 2 months...so I'am also a n00b in frogs...
    But a picture of his set up, will problably help

Sorry my english
    Pac Men aren't yellow

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The frog seems to be stressed out. Being a new addition, it will take time for the frog to adjust to its new surroundings. Most pacman keepers keep the enclosure simple. There are several ways you can do that.

The simplest setup would be the rock platform. Instead of using gravel, use a few large flat rocks that are smooth around the edges. This will provide access to a platform that allows the frog to leave the water. You can then decorate with pieces of baked driftwood. I do not recommend using gravel, as the frog can ingest it and may impact in its digestive system. The most common condition of impaction is called pica, very common with larger frogs and can be deadly.

Watch the diet. Large frogs become obese very quickly, once again can be a fatal condition. Pacman's eyes are bigger than their stomach. It is best to feed smaller items more often. As the frog grows older, feeding becomes less often. By 18 months of age, the frog should only be fed 3-4 times per month.

I suggest leaving your frog alone for a few days.
    When I worked at the zoo as an amphibian keeper, I witnessed several frogs flipping over on their backs. I would come in every morning to clean the cages and see a whole bunch of frogs on their back unable to right themselves without my assistance - it was really a weird experience, but no one was able to explain the behavior

blkspade

Thanks Terry,

Its just a 5 gallon tank, with cocofiber, a little tree bark cave, and a rock dish with water. Maybe misting him once or twice a day is freaking him out? I'm going to try moving the cage. I leave really soft music on at night.. so maybe that could be scaring him? I'll try that and leaving him alone. He could go quite sometime without eating right? I'll just put a cricket in everynight to see how that goes..

I try to keep the cage at like 76-80. is that ok?

Thanks!

Thread Information