Thread: Trying to breed horned frogs...

glennbo

Default Trying to breed horned frogs...

Hello, i am in the prosses of trying to breed a fantasy frog with a albino horned frog. they have been in the rain chamber 2 days now, and i have seen them in amplexus twice. i have heard that fatasy frogs are infertile. but the male fatasy frog that i have is a constant singer so thought it was a shame to not let him at least try. [and also as i do not have any other males.] has anyone else out ther bred thease frogs? any advice would be apreciated

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Trying to breed horned frogs...

Singing has nothing to do with infertility due to hybridism. Your fantasy frog is infertile - don't waste your time, get a non hybrid species.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

glennbo

thanks ror the reply. do you think it is worth my time to leave them in the rain chamber untill my female lays anyway ? I am on day 4 now and my frogs are still in amplexus but no spown yet. I have read that not all hybrids are infertile. the info on this seems to be a bit cloudy. some say they are only infertile when bred fantasy to fatasy. and some say they are infertile totally. and some say the infertile statment was made up to stop people from breeding them.

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by glennbo View Post
    I have read that not all hybrids are infertile. the info on this seems to be a bit cloudy. some say they are only infertile when bred fantasy to fatasy. and some say they are infertile totally. and some say the infertile statment was made up to stop people from breeding them.
    That is a distinct possibility. Some toad species crosses that were originally thought to be totally sterile have been shown to occasionally produce at least somewhat fertile offspring. In other species crosses one gender may be fertile while the other gender is not. Even in the best known example of sterility due to species crossing, the mule, occasional specimens are fertile. I do think it is safe to say that you fantasy frog is at best fertile at a reduced level. In all likelyhood even should he be fertile to some degree eggs and tadpoles will have a much higher rate of mortality and malformation. However if you wish to experiment more power to you, it isn't like the species is rare in captivity. It isn't a big deal if a clutch is unfertilized in the course of experimentation.

glennbo

thanks seth. i am on day 5 now in the rain chamber, and still no spawn. i will try and take some pictuers to post.

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by glennbo View Post
    thanks seth. i am on day 5 now in the rain chamber, and still no spawn. i will try and take some pictuers to post.
    There is no guarantee that they will spawn. Even if properly conditioned they will not always spawn. That is why large groups are better, your odds improve considerably with more pairs.

Thread Information