Thread: Baby's looking better

charlamanda

Default Baby's looking better

Today I had Baby outside in it's tank and decided to let he/she get some fresh air. I put the Babes on a plant on the deck for a while and it's incredable how much better he/she is looking. Here is today's pic 9/6 (far right) on the plant and the last pics 8/28(far left) and 9/4 (center). When I finally brought Baby in he looked like the 1st pic, which is why I brought Baby in to care for. When he/she was very thin, he/she was also very dark..from dark green - black. Now since he/she has been improving and eating the color has remained lighter and greener..good sign, I think. AAAAWWWW Baby just pooped on the leaf, must be eating enough for that..LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Baby's looking better

I think its a great thing you did with him. He's looking great. It's amazing what 9 days of feeding will do for them. I think you got to him in the nick of time. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on his growing progress. We love pictures here.

Jace

Wow-what an improvement!! Way to go!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That's amazing. When I saw the first photo a week ago, I thought it was a goner for sure. Great job!
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

charlamanda

Baby is still looking tired, sleeping alot, but when you touch or hold him/her there is some hopping/climbing. Baby ate a few fruit flies, but not many and isn't actively hunting at all, only eating what walks directly in front of him/her, I am really concerned about the lack of interest in eating and being so tired. This frog is so small that force feeding is impossible without injuring him/her. I found a calendar with landscape photos which I am cutting out and taping to Baby's tank. He/she seems to livin' up when outside and I am wondering if partially the problem is psychological? Oye this frog can't imagine the emotional stress I feel for it! I just want to do what right for Baby. Should I let Baby go? I am so confused.
    The other Gray Tree froglets in the 33gal tank are all doing very well, eating, chubby, bouncing around and climbing (very entertaining) I just want the same for the Babes, but he/sheis way to small to put in with the big guys and I think they'd eat him!!!! so for now he/she will stay in the small tank until, hopefully, he/she gets bigger and stronger.

lnaminneci

HUGE improvement in Baby !
    You are really doing a great job! Baby has come a long way in a short time and hopefully will continue to improve.
    I would not recommend letting her go at this point, I don't think she could "fend" for herself. Just continue doing what you are doing. Keep offering her pinhead crickets and flightless fruitflies.

Baby is an adorable little frog!

~Lesley

charlamanda

Thanks. The encouragement really helps. I don't have any experience with frogs..just bunnies, cats, dogs, fish...my 1st frogs and froglets no less. Since it has gotten warm I take Baby out of his/her tank and let it sit on a plant, but it's getting chilly and baby hide yesterday in the pot under a leaf that fell off..too windy ,I think. Today I am not going to put him out until it's a bit warmer. Too small and may not beable to regulate temp at thiis size, I won't let him/her go, I think I now have to see this through either way and I am not sure which way it's going no??

charlamanda

Baby seems to have plateaued, not any better not any worse, just about the same. I really need to get this frog to eat more and better food. I am trying to figure out how to get this little guy to eat a waxworm. He/she could use the extra calories, fat and bigger meal. I think it could really give this froglet a boost in the right direction. I've keeping the Babes in his tank I set up in my open window w/screen. For whatever reason he/she seems to do better and is more alert and lively when it's out doors or appears to be. I keep adding fruit flies to the tank so there are lots of them, since Baby won't actively hunt and only will grab food that walks right in front if him/her I have to make sure there are lots of bugs crawling around. I think force feeding this frog maybe something I will have to do, but how do I force feed a frog that's 1/2"?????? Could I cut the waxworm in half and shove it in...gently of course? Any suggestions? I am willing to try anything at this point.

IgbyKibbits

Charla -

One thing to keep in mind: it's getting colder! Which means that in normal habitation, Baby (being inside or being taken outside) should be registering that change. In other words, without strict guidelines (heater/lighting), Baby is going to start slowing down to accommodate for the colder temps...and go into the natural hibernation that his body is trained for.

Now, I'm not saying that this is the entire reason for his plateau in eating, but it's certainly something to consider given the time of year and change in seasons.

What kind of decorations do you have inside of Baby's tank? I know that you mentioned you were taping foliage pictures to the side, but does he have anything in the actual tank? Fake/real plants and such to hide? That certainly will help decrease his emotional stress being in a more "normal" environment.

Is baby big enough to try baby crickets? Perhaps the increased movement on the ground might help; plus, you can gutload/dust those to make sure he's getting a good source of vitamins/calcium.

I would try all those changes (if you haven't already) first to see if anything helps change his eating pattern.

Force feeding is going to be extremely hard to do with a frog that small. Kibbits was 1.5 inches long, and I couldn't get one once into his mouth because he was so stubborn! But trying to pry his mouth open enough to squirt in some liquid insectivore (from the vet) was extreme, enough so that I worried forcing him to eat was more stressful than just waiting it out : (

Just double check those other elements (temp, humidity) and perhaps the smallest crickets (on the ground and easier to catch?!) first. It's worth the try!

charlamanda

[QUOTE=IgbyKibbits;33992]Charla -
    I was thinking about the temp as well...although baby is in the window I have the heat on only in my room and stuck a thermometer to the tank to check on in from time to time. The average, varying a few degrees at times(1-3') is about 72' F.
    The pics are of a tropical coasts with ocean and blue skies and the other is tropical (both with lots of trees) with Mayan ruins, both very outdoorsy. I have 1 large fake plant that I taped to the top that hangs down to the bottom, cut 2 broad leaves off another fake plant and taped them to bottom sides(lack of room). I have a small cup/sauser with water and a wooded stick cattycorner in the tank. On the bottom I put wet pater towels and to keep the fruit flies in I have plastic/plexiglass on top w/ a small hole I stuck a straw into attached to a funnel for ventalation. I put a small blackberry in the corner in a little cup for the ff to eat so they don't starve and die too soon.
    How does this sound? Oh there is only a few times when the sun is dappled on the tank in the window and when it hits the tank he/she sits in the sun. I also mist the tank through the straw hole every few days, since the top in plexiglass in maintains good humidity.
    I am going to try to offer Baby a small cricket and let it roam it's tank for a while if he/she doesn't eat it i'll take it back out so it doesn't nip the Babes.
    Should I make any changes??

charlamanda

[QUOTE=charlamanda;4011][QUOTE=IgbyKibbits;33992]
    After the last post I went to check on Baby. All the fruit flies were dead so I had to clean out the tank. I took a few pics of the tank and Baby.
    It is amazing how much better he/she is doing. I brought the tank out to clean, it's beautiful and warm, and placed Baby on the plant/tree I always do thats on the deck in a pot. Baby was climbing the tree (20" w/lots of branches) and even hopped on the rim of the pot and jumped and climbed a nearby vine. I offered him/her some of the smallest crickets in the group and some waxworms. The waxworms were way to big, but the crickets really perked his/her interest, watching them wonder around the container, but didn't eat any. I think Baby may not be ready yet for the larger food, but I am going to go to the pet store and have them search for the smallest crickets they have and try again with those, since they definately got Baby's attention. Once I place Baby back into the tank with the fruit flies he/she jumped off the leaf, I placed him/her on, onto the bottom and ate up the fruit flies. Good sign, and seems very comfortable in his/her home.
    For the moment, I have the tank with Baby, in the yard in the shade around some plants until I can figure out where I am going to put it. I want to put the tank, for now, back in a window since this seems where Baby thrives, but with the drastict temp flucuations between day and night (day, now 80'F and 40-50' PM) it's becomming more difficult to maintain a constant temp.
    A friend of mine has offered to give me a 10gal tank, which I'd like to put Baby in, just not sure of how soon I should make the transfer, maybe when he/she gets a bit bigger and healthier.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nationality
    [United States]

I am slightly worried that you are not giving your little guy enough ventilation, Tree frogs need a large amount and you mentioned covering the top with plexiglass, i understand that you are worried about humidity but you might be restricting air too much. Also the more cover the better.

mikebannon

what an improvement!! thats great,what you did for him!

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by mikebannon View Post
    what an improvement!! thats great,what you did for him!
    Thanks, I can really see a difference in his/her size, has gotten longer and activity level.

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Highum View Post
    I am slightly worried that you are not giving your little guy enough ventilation, Tree frogs need a large amount and you mentioned covering the top with plexiglass, i understand that you are worried about humidity but you might be restricting air too much. Also the more cover the better.
    I am concerned with this too. I am not sure if you read that I stuck a straw in the top hole and added a funnel to catch the air, one of the reasons I keep baby in the window, for the fresh air into the vent system I set up. I don't know another way to keep the FF in? any suggestions?
    I'll also work on more plants, otherwise he/she has made a drastic improvement.
    What about chenging to the 10gal tank? any thoughts?

Nationality
    [United States]

He would be fine in a ten gallon just make sure he cannot escape, with the FFs i have a screen covered cage and when i place in FFs i lay a piece of paper towel over the top to prevent them from escaping, i leave it there for like 2 hours, some still escape but most stay. He has made a drastic improvement, keep it up.

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Highum View Post
    He would be fine in a ten gallon just make sure he cannot escape, with the FFs i have a screen covered cage and when i place in FFs i lay a piece of paper towel over the top to prevent them from escaping, i leave it there for like 2 hours, some still escape but most stay. He has made a drastic improvement, keep it up.
    Thanks Tom, thats a great idea, with the paper towel, I thought about fabric because I really have to leave the ff in there all the time. I didn't pick the tank up, but he said it has all the stuff with it, top, light thermometer, hydrometer.....I think I'll get it today and set it up.

charlamanda

I've got to stop this!!!! but last pm I found another very small frog with a slight leg deformative I put in with baby..and before you all judge me.....if you were surrounded by frogs of all kinds,for free and small and helpless, you'd bring them in too!LOL I, thank god, don't have any pet stores in the area that sell any "pets" and I don't know where the shelter is, so, at least, I can't bring any more animals home that way!!!! Now I am back again with baby's friend, any name suggestions? Hopefully when I name this one he won't die the next day like Tiny did .

bshmerlie

I have a couple of baby red eyes that are 3/4 of an inch or less and they are feeding greet on pin head crickets. I tried the fruit flys with my first baby and he didn't seem that interested. As soon as I put in the pinhead crickets he seemed to pay more attention. Now that those pinheads are a week older both frogs are chasing after them. Besides they don't climb out of the tank like the fruit flys. The only problem with the crickets is that they jump and are impossible to pickup at that size. Use those tubes that stick down in the cricket keeper and quickly pull it out and shake them in.

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    I have a couple of baby red eyes that are 3/4 of an inch or less and they are feeding greet on pin head crickets. I tried the fruit flys with my first baby and he didn't seem that interested. As soon as I put in the pinhead crickets he seemed to pay more attention. Now that those pinheads are a week older both frogs are chasing after them. Besides they don't climb out of the tank like the fruit flys. The only problem with the crickets is that they jump and are impossible to pickup at that size. Use those tubes that stick down in the cricket keeper and quickly pull it out and shake them in.
    Thanks Cheri, I managed to get 2 very small crickets in the tank after I added more ff and lots of plants. It really looks like a jungle in there now. While I was fixing the tank w/ more plants I put baby and new deformed friend into a container with the crickets and baby followed them around, but didn't eat them, but the deformed one did..Yummm! I hoping by leaving the 2 crickets in the tank where he feels confortable , Baby will try eating one, definately looks very interested just may need some alone time to think about it. Thanks for the help.

Thread Information