Thread: "Croaking" female PCF?

lnaminneci

Default "Croaking" female PCF?

This morning I heard a faint, crackley, "croaking" sound coming from the Terrarium with 4 "female" PCF's. I have never heard any croaking sounds before.
    When I looked Pako's white throat was slightly ballooned out, but it was still white. Do females do this? Or could it have been Alto the "female" behind her. Alto is starting to look more "male" as she matures and gets bigger.

Here are some pics I took this morning. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: "Croaking" female PCF?

The one in the front still has a pale throat so I would say female for sure. However, the one in the background definitely has a darker throat....You might just have a male in your midst yet!!

lnaminneci

Thanks Jo-Anna! I think maybe I might have a male, unless the females croak....lol

I think it's time for another photo shoot and see how the frogs have grown.....and changed.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I don't believe the females give anything more than a release call.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jace

If u can get some more pics of them-especially close up of the throats, I will be able to give you a better answer. I stick my frogs in a glass container that has tall sides, so that when they climb, I can see their bellies, throats and feet.

And I think your frogs are looking great! Alto is definitely round and the other one has a very nice belly. I think you are much closer to a Buddha belly than u think!!

lnaminneci

I just completed PCF Photo Shoot #2. Please check out my new Photo Album and take a close look at "Alto", male or female?

Now that I have taken each individual frog out again, they have definately grown alot! And Alto I would say has a Buddha belly already!! Yippee!

Yippee! It's nice that they will grow Buddha bellies to match the one you said you wanted to grow!

lnaminneci

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post
    Yippee! It's nice that they will grow Buddha bellies to match the one you said you wanted to grow!
    Hopefully I won't grow a Buddha belly too! I'll try not to eat the frogs' food.

Jace

Okay, I had a look at your pics. You have some really nice shots of them and they are all very nicely chubby! Congrats! Alto and Hilo definately qualify for Buddha Belly awards and Niko and Pako are not far behind. So, here is my verdict:

Niko-girl.
    Hilo-girl.
    Pako-girl.
    Alto-not 100%, but I am leaning towards boy.

Alto has a darker throat then the others for sure. It does not look the same as Yoki's, but if you have heard calling, I would place my bet on Alto being the culprit. Great looking frogs-job well done, Lesley.

lnaminneci

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Okay, I had a look at your pics. You have some really nice shots of them and they are all very nicely chubby! Congrats! Alto and Hilo definately qualify for Buddha Belly awards and Niko and Pako are not far behind. So, here is my verdict:

Niko-girl.
    Hilo-girl.
    Pako-girl.
    Alto-not 100%, but I am leaning towards boy.

Alto has a darker throat then the others for sure. It does not look the same as Yoki's, but if you have heard calling, I would place my bet on Alto being the culprit. Great looking frogs-job well done, Lesley.
    Thank you Jo-Anna.
    I'm not sure if the frogs liked having their pics taken , but they enjoyed hopping around my house!

I had about 6 escapes during the process, and I'm sure it was very comical with me crawling on my hands and knees catching loose frogs, and frogs climbing the walls! At least my 4 year old was laughing! (No frogs were hurt during the making of the photo shoot).

Alto definately has me stumped as to his/her sex. The others I'm sure are girls. I'll keep listening for calling. Only heard it this morning around 8:30am and haven't heard it before or since, so we will see.
    And I will continue to groom their Buddha Bellys'.

Jace

Yoki does most of his calling after a good feeding and a misting. Gets him in the mood, I guess. The more Alto croaks, the darker the throat will get and then we will know for sure. lucky guy-his own harem of girls!!

Paul Rust

I missed this one somehow.
    I agree with Jo-Anna. Alto is a male.
    Congrats Lesley. Give them some deeper water and you may get babies!

Paul Rust

Yoki does most of his calling after a good feeding and a misting. Gets him in the mood, I guess. The more Alto croaks, the darker the throat will get and then we will know for sure. lucky guy-his own harem of girls!!
    I like a good feeding and misting as well

Jace

I just might get the trick to this sexing frogs bit yet!! Though I still get it wrong 90% of the time with African Giant bullfrogs.

Paul...I don't even know what to say to that....I think I'll leave this one to Lesley!!

lnaminneci

I just might get the trick to this sexing frogs bit yet!! Though I still get it wrong 90% of the time with African Giant bullfrogs.

Paul...I don't even know what to say to that....I think I'll leave this one to Lesley!!
    Ummmmm....I'm gonna leave my lips zipped on that one, or I may get into trouble.

As for Alto, if it's male I think I'm definately in trouble! My 3 girl frogs better run! No oyster shooters for them!!!
    What will I do with 3 female frogs laying eggs! What will I do with all the tadpoles!

I'm gonna mail them to you Paul!

lnaminneci

I haven't heard any more croaking. But Alto is definately looking very male!

And he is bigger than all the female frogs. Aren't the females supposed to be bigger than the males? Maybe he's just hogging the food and being a piglet.

Jace

I'm not sure what the size difference between the sexes are...Yoki is definitely huge, too, and though Taiki is catching up fast, she still has a way to go before matching him. I would say without a doubt that Alto is a boy, though, Lesley-and he will start croaking at the oddest times. For a while, Yoki would go between 2-4 AM...every night. Now, whenever Taiki is moving (day or night) he gets excited and starts. In one day alone, I heard him 6 different times!

Thread Information