Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dart frogs for a beginner

Paul Rust

Default Re: Dart frogs for a beginner

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Just one instance of your frogs going to 31 °C will quite likely kill them. People kill dart frogs by getting them too cool (on the other end, 15 °C / 59 °F can cause a frog to go into decline and die slowly). You need to be able to provide temperature controlled conditions or you'll waste a lot of money on these frogs, not to mention kill the poor things.
    Very good point here, just to add to it.
    If they do get chilled and survive, they may never fully recover.

2. This member thanks Paul Rust for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bogalog

I'm going to get hold of a decent thermometer and check that the area I'm going to put the tank doesn't get that warm. The measurements I've been quoting have been from an alarm clock under a bedside lamp, which actually isn't a good reading at all most likely

The temperatures I've seen have only ever been unreasonable when I haven't opened a window due to moths coming in late at night, and that's easily sorted by putting up with the moths and opening the window regardless.

I will get a thermometer and check the temperature range before doing anything.

Paul Rust

Let me just give you an example of environmental controls that I use so you can get an idea.

Lighting: On timers, 12hrs on, 12hrs off.

Heating: 200 watt fan heaters under the enclosure, thermostat controlled with nighttime drop. 78F during the day, 73F at night.

Humidity: High pressure misting system, humidistat controlled. On at 60% and off at 80%. the humidity will continue to rise after system shuts off.

Cooling: 80mm PC fans, one pulling air in and one pushing air out. On timers, 30 minutes every 2 hours 'round the clock with one 1" emergency fan that vents if temp goes above 82F. Because everything else is automated this won't disturb the environment but will provide ventilation and keeps the front of the enclosure clear for viewing.

Of course everyone will find their own way to do these things but the goal is to make it so that external influences dont disrupt the dart's environment (like an over zealous partner turning the AC on full blast) aaaaargh!

All my dart tanks have these controls in place. I don't like to take chances with these variables. It is a small price to pay for not killing my animals, plust many of my frogs cost over $110.00 each, a loss hurts the wallet as well as the heart.
    Last edited by Paul Rust; September 3rd, 2010 at 11:05 AM.

6. This member thanks Paul Rust for this post:

bogalog

A very helpful post, thanks.

I am wondering how you setup the fans though, I assume they are outside of the enclosure blowing through a fine mesh to stop the fruit flies etc. from getting out?

I'm away this weekend, continuing the research and buying a reliable thermometer on Monday to see what conditions I will have to manage.

If I feel that the frogs safety is in danger by keeping them, you have my word that I won't even try. It is not my intention to just have these as a fad, and I would never endanger an animals life.

bogalog

Right, I was away from home a lot longer than expected. Luckily, when I got home the dart frog book I ordered had arrived, and I have read it through.

My newest concern is finding a vet experienced with frogs (or even willing to have a go).

But fortunately, the book has made me more confident on managing the tank itself, and I am going to start putting it together and ordering starter cultures next week. In particular I liked the idea of using an old pringles lid to keep a piece of fruit in the viv, to help focus the fruit flies. I still only know one place in the UK that seems to have leucs in stock, and it's a good 2.5hr+ drive.

The current question that I would like an experienced answer for is the use of a quarantine tank. Is it useful to keep new frogs in a quarantine tank for 2 weeks before moving to the tank, as the book suggested?

Oh, and I have more or less decided on keeping 2 leucs in a 45x45x60cm (WxDxH) tank (~27 gallons). Lots of space for plants and interesting hidey-holes

bogalog

Just as an update, I'm very excited as I've just bought my tank and wood, and not only that, I found out my local pet shop sells both fruitflies and pinhead crickets! Running out of food is no longer an issue

Going to head off to the local hobbycraft/haskins to buy plants and stuff for the false bottom later today.

Also, following Paul's advice (which was very helpful), I will be automating as much of the conditions as much as i can (other than the misting by hand).

My newest question (for Paul, or anyone else with a similar fan setup) is do you have one fan at the top, and one at the bottom of your tank? I bought the exo-terra 18x18x24" tank, and am not confident cutting a hole in the glass to mount a fan. Obviously at the top you can have the fan coming through the mesh, but I cant see anywhere else to have a fan for input.

Very excited!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information