Thread: Herping in Portugal

Diogo Juliao

Default Herping in Portugal

Hello everybody,

This little corner of Europe has some nice animals too

All the animals (including the ones photographed in my home) were released, because it's forbidden to have any WC portuguese specie in Portugal. I do have have some CB national species.

Pelophylax perezi

Rana iberica

Bufo bufo

Triturus marmoratus marmoratus

Triturus marmoratus pygmaeus

Lissotriton boscai

Pleurodeles waltl

Salamandra salamandra gallaica

Podarcis hispanica

Podarcis bocagei (female)

Lacerta schreiberi (colour evolution: baby to sub-adult)

Timon lepida

Natrix maura (really bad photos)

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Diogo Juliao; August 26th, 2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: fix typos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Herping in Portugal

Portugal is in europe? I thought it was in south america. Jeebuz Iam wrong as heck.
    Anywho the first few photos remind me of the north american frogs. Thats a bullfrog right? It defenitely reminds me of one. Just a little different looking. You had one in there that looked like a wood frog. I love that common toad. I used to see them for sale at petsmart over here. I dont know why but they dont cary them as much anymore. Iam a toad fan I guess. Nice photos overall.

Diogo Juliao

Portugal is in europe? I thought it was in south america. Jeebuz Iam wrong as heck.
    Anywho the first few photos remind me of the north american frogs. Thats a bullfrog right? It defenitely reminds me of one. Just a little different looking. You had one in there that looked like a wood frog. I love that common toad. I used to see them for sale at petsmart over here. I dont know why but they dont cary them as much anymore. Iam a toad fan I guess. Nice photos overall.
    They speak portuguese in Brazil (with a really different accent) But yes, Portugal is in Europe right next to spain.

No, the first one is not a bullfrog (we don't have them in Portugal). They are a little similar in colour, bur our Green frog only reaches more or less 3 inches.

The one similar to the wood frog is an Iberian frog, which is from the same family of the wood frog (we don't have them in Portugal)

Thank you for posting

Jace

Wow, you take some really great photographs. I really like the Green frog-beautiful specimen you found.

I am afraid that I am not that great on figuring out scientific names. Would you be able to post the common names as well? Thanks-and I hope to see lots more pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Diogo Juliao View Post
    They speak portuguese in Brazil (with a really different accent) But yes, Portugal is in Europe right next to spain.

No, the first one is not a bullfrog (we don't have them in Portugal). They are a little similar in colour, bur our Green frog only reaches more or less 3 inches.

The one similar to the wood frog is an Iberian frog, which is from the same family of the wood frog (we don't have them in Portugal)

Thank you for posting
    Yeah I know the wood frogs arent native to europe or anything. But bullfrogs are an introduced species to america if I remember reading this(I COULD be wrong on this one). So I thought they were from europe or something of the sort.
    Or was it they are from america but got introduced somewhere else?

Diogo Juliao

Wow, you take some really great photographs. I really like the Green frog-beautiful specimen you found.

I am afraid that I am not that great on figuring out scientific names. Would you be able to post the common names as well? Thanks-and I hope to see lots more pictures!

Thanks Jace! The Green frog is the most common frog in portugal. Not a great finding after a lot of years seeing hundreds of them

The common names:

Scientific name - Portuguese common name - English common name

Pelophylax perezi - Rã Verde - Green frog
    Rana iberica - Rã Ibérica - Iberian frog
    Bufo bufo - Sapo Comum - Common toad

Triturus m. marmoratus - Tritão marmoreado - Marbled newt
    Triturus m. pygmaeus - Tritão marmoreado pigmeu - Pygmy marbled newt
    Lissotriton boscai - Tritão de ventre laranja - Bosca's newt

Pleurodeles waltl - Salamandra de costelas salientes - Sharp Ribbed Salamander
    Salamandra salamandra gallaica - Salamandra de fogo - Portuguese fire salamander

Podarcis hispanica - Lagartixa ibérica - Iberian wall lizard
    Podarcis bocagei - Lagartixa de bocage - Bocage's wall lizard
    Lacerta schreiberi - Lagarto de água - Schreiber's green lizard
    Timon lepida Sardão - Ocellated lizard

Natrix maura - Cobra de água viperina - Viperine water snake

Hope it helps

Diogo Juliao

Yeah I know the wood frogs arent native to europe or anything. But bullfrogs are an introduced species to america if I remember reading this(I COULD be wrong on this one). So I thought they were from europe or something of the sort.
    Or was it they are from america but got introduced somewhere else?
    I have a book who says they are native from the USA, I don't know if they were introduced somewhere else, but I do know they were not introduced in Portugal... yet

Jace

Thanks, Diogo! I appreciate you putting in the common names and the Portugal names too. I love seeing the different languages on the Forum-I just wish I could speak something other than English and French! Keep the pictures coming please!!

vasco94

UH , Nice photos Diogo

Here in Portugal we have beautiful species , and your photos are proof of this

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for adding the common names too!

The two kinds of marbled newts were my favorites, the adults are gorgeous.

Diogo Juliao

Thanks, Diogo! I appreciate you putting in the common names and the Portugal names too. I love seeing the different languages on the Forum-I just wish I could speak something other than English and French! Keep the pictures coming please!!
    UH , Nice photos Diogo
    Here in Portugal we have beautiful species , and your photos are proof of this
    Thanks for sharing, and thanks for adding the common names too!
    The two kinds of marbled newts were my favorites, the adults are gorgeous
    Thank you all!

Jace, I'll try to photograph some species I'm missing... but it's really hard

Chester, the marbled newts are my favourite portuguese caudatas too but my most recent passion are the Sharp Ribbed Salamander! They are the funniest looking beasts I've ever seen I have some CB's!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You live in a beautiful part of the world (I've been to Portugal) and you've got great herping there too. Thanks for sharing the photos.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Diogo Juliao

You live in a beautiful part of the world (I've been to Portugal) and you've got great herping there too. Thanks for sharing the photos.
    Thanks John, Ireland is really nice too, though I never tryed to find amphibians there.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I think the whole world is beautiful. Personally, being raised on an island made me prefer them. To me they are cozy. But now I also like the states.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Diogo Juliao View Post
    I have a book who says they are native from the USA, I don't know if they were introduced somewhere else, but I do know they were not introduced in Portugal... yet
    Just for the record, bullfrogs, Lithobates (Rana) catesbeianus originally hail from the eastern US, northeastern Mexico, and southeastern Canada. They have been introduced to the Southwestern US, where they are reeping havoc. They have also been introduced Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, France, Germany, Greece, Haiti, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Netherlands, Puerto Rico, Taiwan, Uruguay, and Venezuela.

Love the pictures. Triturus marmoratus has been on my want list for some time now.

Diogo Juliao

Just for the record, bullfrogs, Lithobates (Rana) catesbeianus originally hail from the eastern US, northeastern Mexico, and southeastern Canada. They have been introduced to the Southwestern US, where they are reeping havoc. They have also been introduced Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, France, Germany, Greece, Haiti, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Netherlands, Puerto Rico, Taiwan, Uruguay, and Venezuela.

Love the pictures. Triturus marmoratus has been on my want list for some time now.
    Thank you for the information I saw some adults this year hen I went to chicago and I was amazed about how big they were... I never imagined something like that..

If you lived in Europe I could probably get you some next year... I have a friend who breeds them (I only have juvies)... But if it makes you feel better, your Bufo alvarius has been on my want list for quite a while too

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

Sometimes I think you invented a dictionary of your own and encyclopedia of your own and everything. I mean by god you know alot of animals by scientific name and other stuff which purely amazes me. I can only remember names of my favorite animals:
    Sternotherus odoratus
    Picta Picta Elegans?
    Bufo americanus
    Rana Pipens
    Rana Castebana(I cant spell that one for squat)
    Rana sylvica(Wood frog?)
    Rana clamatin(green frog--american)
    Apalone Ferox
    Apalone something(the smooth one)
    I used to remember the scientific name of the red eared slider. I have forgotten as of late. Its scripta scripta elegans? OR is that the yellow belly? I keep forgetting.

cherry

Hi Diogo

We have just returned from Portugal and had a wonderful time. We like looking at wild life but I know little about frogs and toads.

I have seen your post on Frog Forum and hope you see this message. We saw this frog/toad and wonder if you know what it is. We saw it from a bridge over a stream on the out skirts of a tiny village just outside the Algarve north of Monchique. The stream had small cultivated plots on one side and a grassy bank on the other and was in a concrete cutting under the road. The frog/toad was approximately 8-10 cms wide.

It was great to see reptiles and amphibians in Portugal so many have disappeared form our british countryside. We heard lots of frogs in rivers and water tanks but could not spot them. I am also sending photos what I think was a baby grass snake and a dead fire salamander which unfortunately had been run over by a car on a track next to a spring. (however I had never seen a salamander before so I was quite pleased to see it.

Thanks for your help

Cherry
    Attached Images Attached Images    

tryme

old thread but just wanted to say fantastic pictures. i love portugal as i am engaged to a portuguese girl and we have a son.

i also love the country its very nice. i was looking for herps when i was there but to no avail! this was in the algarve - albufeira so may explain why as it is very touristy so they would be scared to come out in the day etc.

Thread Information