Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zoo med vs. exo terra

LittleDuudeIsAGirl

Default Zoo med vs. exo terra

Which tanks are better? the zoo med or the exo terra?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Julia

Default Re: Zoo med vs. exo terra

I am curious to see what other people say...I currently only use exo terra because the zoo med were not available until very recently at my local pet store. Exo terra are great, just make sure the lock at the front works.

bshmerlie

Here's my 2 cents worth but I think you'll find some people just have a preference for one brand over the other.

1. Zoo Med has a single panel of glass compared to the two pane glass of exo terra. One panel is better visually but if you're worried about your frog trying to make a break for it then two panels are better.
    2. Zoo Med is more Fruit Fly proof if that is of concern for you.
    3. Zoo Med's screen up on top doesn't rust. I get a little rust spot on my Exo Terra screen where my fogger comes in. Although the normal humidity doesn't make it rust. Only if water is running over it all the time.
    4. Zoo Med's latches supposedly break over time but you'll have to ask others if they've had the same problem.
    I personally have Exo Terras and they work perfectly fine. They come with nice backgrounds with spaces behind them for cables. They have very secure lids that are excape proof. They are water proof so you can make a water section in your tank if you want.
    Bottom line is if you're on a budget I'd go with which ever one is cheaper they are both pretty close.

5. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I agree with Cheri's points - very well put. I own the 12x12x18 inch (30x30x45 cm) version from both vendors. Neither is fruit fly proof though - they both need extra sealing to be made fruit fly proof. One significant difference is that the Exo-terra has a higher "lip" under the door - this means that you have less room in the Zoo Med for an aquatic base, or false bottom.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

John911

I'm pretty satisfied with my zoomed so far. Like john said there isn't much room for a false bottom. Overall seems pretty solid.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

I like Exo-Terras better, but I know people seem to just like one brand or the other. They're pretty comparable. I sometimes have escaped crickets, but I found a way to solve that problem!

LittleDuudeIsAGirl

i plan to get one or the other for a whites tree frog home im just not sure which. im leaning towards the one with only one glass door to open because I think its nicer to look at..better viewing.

now, if i got the one thats 18x18x24 for a single whites tree frog which type of uvb bulb should i use and which heat bulb? or is an 18x18x24 too big? i think it will be large enough to give one tree frog the best home ever lol.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

I use Exo Terra as that's only available to me. I have 4 of them. Im very happy with them. I think the one thing that they could improve with would be to put a small trap door in the top or somewhere to put the insects in with out having to open up the big doors.

LittleDuudeIsAGirl

i think im leaning toward exoterra. from what john said there is more room on the bottom and from what bshmerlie said..they are water proof..which is always a great thing! now..for backgrounds ive heard of cork backgrounds? im confused on the matter

Diogo Juliao

for backgrounds ive heard of cork backgrounds? im confused on the matter
    If you want cork backgrounds you got to buy them separately, but exo-terra terrariums bring nice and realistic "styrofoam" (?) backgrounds.
    Last edited by Diogo Juliao; August 27th, 2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: fix typos

LittleDuudeIsAGirl

oh they come with them...Which one would you pick?

or which would be more sturdy or more frog frendly?

the cork one or the one they come with?

Diogo Juliao

oh they come with them...Which one would you pick?

or which would be more sturdy or more frog frendly?

the cork one or the one they come with?
    I can't answer that because I never used a cork one, but I really like the exo-terra ones.
    They are nice-looking, 3D (which creates places where the frogs can stick), and they have a small space before the top of the terrarium where all kinds of animals love to sleep (I'm guessing that would be to small for a Litoria to fit, unless you buy a small one).
    Last edited by Diogo Juliao; August 27th, 2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: fix typos

LittleDuudeIsAGirl

oooh gotcha.

very cool.
    thank you so much. (:

bshmerlie

I like the 3d ExoTerra background better than the cork one and its free with the tank

vasco94

I just have exo terra terrariums , 3 of them . i am happy with their preformance , they have good ventilaction , the doors are funcional.
    When you were bought the terrarium be carefull, make sure the lock at the front works , like julia said

froggiez

Very helpful thread. thank you for posting the question!

Hmm in my opinion I prefer the exo terras. So far the only zoomeds Ived seen have only ONE opening front door. So for my visual I just dont like that. I like pairs of things. Its all really the same just different look I guess. To me an exo terra looks like a chest of a sort so its more appealing I guess. I also like the name exo terra. So thats partly why. :P Also ived never had a problem with their products. Which with the zoo meds I did have problems with a few things they made. So yeah thats my preferance. Try finding your own though. Because if you go by what others like you may not get what YOU like. You know?
    Little food for thought. But I get you. Hard to decide.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I like the Zoo Meds more. My only criticism of them is the shallow bottom in the smaller ones. If you have the opportunity, see if you can look at both in person.

bshmerlie

John, I do consider you the true authoriy. Why do you like the ZooMed better? And please do not tell me its the name.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I don't like the split door of the Exo terras, plus the wire mesh in the Exo terras seems to rust much more easily. I also like the one piece, no split lid of the Zoo Med. It's really a toss up. If you can get one or the other on special offer, take it and don't worry about the differences. I will say though that the Exo Terras seem to be more popular with dart froggers, at least.

Personally I don't like the Exo Terra foam backgrounds - they look awfully fake when you are trying to take pictures of frogs with that background behind them. The Zoo Med backgrounds are real organic materials (cork) but you usually have to buy them separately and they aren't cheap. However, you should be able to get the Zoo Med backgrounds to fit the Exo Terras, so best of both worlds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information