Thread: Substrate

Toadz

Default Substrate

I'm currently using coconut fiber mixed with water to make mud as a substrate for my fire bellied toads. I'm thinking about switching to gravel, because it would be easier to clean. What would you guys recommend? Thanks for the advice!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Substrate

You could try a real substrate and switch to a false bottom terrarium like that described here:

http://www.frogforum.net/care-articl...struction.html

For substrate in the pond (and obviously the pond should be much larger for fire-bellied toads) I would use gravel or pebbles.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Quetzacoatl

For land part I use terrarium humus with gravel, for substrate in the water part I use gravel, stones, and sand.

bshmerlie

As everyone knows who has firebellies they are very messy frogs. I have redone their tank so many times I can't even say. I think my latest setup is finnally a keeper. Check out my personal photo album picture of my firebelly tank. I have the whole bottom 3 inches of the floor with water. I have two turtle docks on each side for my land area and a couple of rocks that they can touch down on in the middle. I have a small layer of gravel on the bottom just to cover up the glass. I then use a zoo med 501 canister filter to filter the water and it stays really clean. There is no way they can get dirt or mud into the water to fowl it. And they love the deeper water to float around in. I use to just have a water dish that they would sit in. Now they swim under and around the turtle docks, it's like having a swimming pool for them.

Eel Noob

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    As everyone knows who has firebellies they are very messy frogs. I have redone their tank so many times I can't even say. I think my latest setup is finnally a keeper. Check out my personal photo album picture of my firebelly tank. I have the whole bottom 3 inches of the floor with water. I have two turtle docks on each side for my land area and a couple of rocks that they can touch down on in the middle. I have a small layer of gravel on the bottom just to cover up the glass. I then use a zoo med 501 canister filter to filter the water and it stays really clean. There is no way they can get dirt or mud into the water to fowl it. And they love the deeper water to float around in. I use to just have a water dish that they would sit in. Now they swim under and around the turtle docks, it's like having a swimming pool for them.

I have a similar setup but with just one large dock and a smaller filter. With this type of setup it basically takes care itself since there's nitrifying and other beneficial bacterias that helps break down waste. I just refill water when needed and rinse out filters once in while.

Thread Information