Thread: Chirp Chirp...lol

froggiez

Default Chirp Chirp...lol

I must have some happy crickets... I am starting to try to raise some of my own so I have the food and all the goodies in there along with some heat to keep the temp up and I have one male at a constant chirp so he must be claiming the females...hubby not to thrilled about it so I may have to put them on the porch until he goes to bed...LOL

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Chirp Chirp...lol

Quote Originally Posted by froggiez View Post
    I must have some happy crickets... I am starting to try to raise some of my own so I have the food and all the goodies in there along with some heat to keep the temp up and I have one male at a constant chirp so he must be claiming the females...hubby not to thrilled about it so I may have to put them on the porch until he goes to bed...LOL
    Personally I dont mind them as long as its not a very very larg chorus of crickets singing at once. I think they chirp when there isnt enough humidity. I could be wrong though.

froggiez

I read they chirp to attract females, impress them and warn other males...here is the link...it may be wrong too though I guess, but it makes sense since the ones I bought which are all males haven't chirped I am guessing cuz there aren't any females? I know not everything online is set in stone...lol
    I have good ventilation in the container cuz I read on here they don't do well in moist environment
    Why Crickets Chirp

Greatballzofire

When I first started raising crickets a few years ago I seemed to have Ninja Stealth Crickets, as they hardly made any noise at all even though they bred and produced lots of young.

My current breeders:

I lifted off the egg crate to show them. The females like to be on the lay tub, and the males tend to perch on top of the egg crate over the lay tub to sing. They sing loudest in the early evening.
    The crickets I have now love to sing and I am not doing anything any different. Both my brown and black crickets are very musical. Love it!

6. This member thanks Greatballzofire for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by froggiez View Post
    I read they chirp to attract females, impress them and warn other males...here is the link...it may be wrong too though I guess, but it makes sense since the ones I bought which are all males haven't chirped I am guessing cuz there aren't any females? I know not everything online is set in stone...lol
    I have good ventilation in the container cuz I read on here they don't do well in moist environment
    Why Crickets Chirp
    Ahh! I learnt something then. Well whenever their location was humid theyd stop trying to chirp. In any case when my toads grow up Iam going for worms. I hate escapee crickets.

froggiez

I did not have a lay tub just some soil for them...will have to re do it and make something like that...I had them outside and left them on the porch all night and a coon ripped off the screen lid top I had over it, but amazingly enough the crickets didn't leave they were still in the bucket so they must have liked it in there, not sure what the coon was going after though...lol. but I let the crickets go, I like to hear them chirp too but until I can figure out where to put them so hubby doesn't hear them I will wait on trying to raise some, plus i only have one froggy so I don't actually need to raise them just yet, was just practicing for when I do get more froggies...a red eye tree frog is on my wish list...and a new terrarium for it

Thread Information