Thread: Gray tree frog not eating...

Nationality
    [United States]

Unhappy Gray tree frog not eating...

I recently built a terrarium for my gray tree frog (Bongo), yellow-spotted salamander, and Madagascar hissing cockroaches (perhaps a weird combination, but everyone gets along just fine and there's never been any issues). The others settled into their new home quite well, but Bongo won't eat, which is extremely out of character for him. I've both tried feeding him meal worms in and out of the tank but he just isn't having it, and instead prefers to just sit in the dirt or water dish and sleep. I've only been able to get him to eat one worm and I kind of had to force feed him to do it. It's been about a week and I'm a little worried. Before I adopted him he spent almost a whole summer without being fed due to neglect so I don't think he'll die or anything if I leave him in for a while, but I don't want him to suffer. Does he just need more time to acclimate to his new home? Is the terrarium perhaps too overwhelming for him? How long should I wait before putting him back into his old tank? Any tips just in general?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Gray tree frog not eating...

Since he’s only been in the new setup for about a week, I’d give him a little more time to acclimate. Moving him back at this point may stress him out.

4. This member thanks BossFrog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Can you provide a detailed description of the old enclosure and the new one? Also, I would strongly recommend against cohabitating different species. I would place your frog back into it’s original enclosure for the time being.

6. This member thanks DanDrobates for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

The old enclosure was taller but less wide (I don't know the exact measurements for it). It just had some dirt the previous owner put in it as substrate, some bark and rocks for the salamander and a few sticks positioned against the walls for the frog, as well as a water dish. The new tank is 18x20 inches but the size has been reduced by the foam walls I put in on the sides and back. The substrate is made up of cocoa fiber, gardening soil, pebbles, and sphagnum moss and the walls are covered in cocoa fiber and sphagnum moss. The same sticks, rocks, bark and water dish have been put in to the enclosure along with a half log for hiding and a piece of drift wood. There are three living plants in the enclosure. I've made sure everything in the tank is friendly to any and all animals in it.

Name:  IMG_6797.JPG
Views: 217
Size:  2.27 MB
    Here's a picture of the enclosure before the sticks were added!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hello,
    I keep Gray Tree Frogs and they may be slowing down because of the season and cooler weather. I too believe as Dan said you should move the gray back to a separate enclosure because a female spotted salamander may try to eat the frog.

The temperature requirements are different as the gray enjoys 70s which can make the salamander sick. Salamanders also have very different requirements opposed to a tree frog. This is a setup that is not a good combination because of the temperature requirements and idk how big your salamander is but if it's big enough the tree frog may be stressed trying to get away from the salamander.

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

9. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I appreciate the consideration, but these two have lived together for almost their whole lives, so I don't think the salamander is causing the stress. The tank is also set up to have both a cool side and warm side using a heating pad so the two usually remain on their own sides of the tank. Thank you, though!! : )

Nationality
    [United States]

UPDATE!!: Bongo is doing a lot better!!! I left him in the terrarium and I woke up this morning to him chirping and looking a lot more energized! I was also able to feed him a worm without any hassle! Thank you to everyone who offered advice : )
    Name:  IMG_6876.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  1.73 MB

12. This member thanks rafwright for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear the frog is doing better.

With all do respect two members raised the concern about the different species in this enclosure. Proceed with this as you wish. I hope they all can continue to stay healthy for you.

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

14. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Thread Information