3. Humidity- 50-80%, usually around 70%
    4. Temperature- 82° f
    5. Water - type - room temperature bottled water
    6. Materials used for substrate- coconut fiber
    7. Enclosure set up- one artificial plant, soaking saucer, small hide
    8. Main food source- mealworms and roaches
    9. Vitamins and calcium?- refuses to eat anything with calcium dust
    10. Lighting- natural ambient light
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure- 40watt heat lamp and heat pad
    12. When is the last time he/she ate- couple of weeks
    13. Have you found poop lately- earlier today, but that’s the only poop i’ve found in weeks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CDB76094-6778-41FB-8BA0-10B13C4BCB47.jpeg 
Views:	210 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	81506
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE5D13C0-92A6-4A35-A63F-08FE11CF3A6B.jpeg 
Views:	225 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	8150714. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.- very lethargic, spends most time burrowed under substrate unless removed to bathe/attempt to feed, hasn’t eaten in a long time
    16. How old is the frog- 3 months
    17. How long have you owned him/her- 2 months
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred- captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats-crickets, mealworms, and roaches. just got night crawlers, waxworks, and black fly larvae to try and tempt him into eating
    20. How often the frog is handled- only for cleaning and bathing (2x month)
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area- low
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)- clean once a month, spot clean weekly, change water whenever substrate is present in it, mist 3-4x a day

i recently covered two sides with black paper, and am getting a new digital temperature gauge in case mine is reading incorrectly. should i get a timer so the heat changes daily, or is ambient light enough to maintain his circadian rhythm? he’s mostly been burrowing in the center or on the cool side, so it doesn’t seem like heat is the issue. i’ve been incorporating water into his substrate once a week so it doesn’t get too dry. a few days ago i placed him in his water saucer and he stayed there for a few hours before burrowing again, and didn’t come up until i pulled him up for feeding tonight. his sides seem soft, so impaction doesn’t seem like the problem. his underbelly is uniformly pale and his legs seem fine- he just paddles them sometimes whenever i bring him up. i really want him to be happy and healthy, and everything i’ve looked up and tried hasn’t seemed to work. any advice is very much appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: should i take my frog to a vet?

Hi there,

Thanks so much for using our trouble in the enclosure template, let’s take a look at the husbandry.

so first thing is that your enclosure is actually too big at the moment. For an adult pacman frog it would be perfect, but for a baby it’s actually better to keep them in a smaller bin or critter keeper, too much empty space can stress them out and cause them to not eat

your temperature is mostly fine, but may be a little on the high side, probably not causing the issue but periods of having it be around 75-78 degrees wouldn’t hurt.

As long as your bottled water doesn’t have any chemicals or chlorine in it you should be fine

mealworms are not the best nutrition for frogs because the chitin that composes their exoskeletons is too thick to digest, it doesn’t sound like impaction is the issue here but definitely something to keep in mind.

it is important to make sure that you dust their food, of course since the frog isn’t eating at all you have to cross that bridge first, but when it hopefully starts eating normally again make sure you do your best to incorporate that, if not then gut loading the roaches is best.

I would recommend taking the poop you found to a vet to get a fecal test done.

lastly make sure that the substrate is uniformly moist but not soaking wet. It looks like there are some dry patches in yours and this will draw moisture out of your frog’s body.

oh and also make sure your heat pad is attached to the side of the tank not to the bottom, these frogs burrow to cool down and may get burned if it’s at the bottom

it sounds like your frog may just be stressed, i recommend getting that fecal test done and making some of those adjustments, allow it time to settle down without handling or moving too much, and see if he eats in a few days. If he starts losing significant weight or if anything symptoms become particularly alarming i would then say a vet visit is necessary

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Thread Information