Thread: I haven't seen my pacman frog for about 4-5 days.

Unhappy I haven't seen my pacman frog for about 4-5 days.

I just got my pacman frog, Gerard, about 3 weeks ago. He's 6 months old, almost 7, and when I brought him home for the first time, I fed him just fine. I've been feeding him 2 medium sized crickets in the evening every monday, wednesday, and friday, up until this last friday. I fed him last wednesday. Until then, I haven't seen him since. His usual pattern is that he'll burrow under the dirt throughout the day and come out at around 8-9 PM, but he hasn't come up since wednesday. I'm really worried about him, and I'm not sure what to do. I don't know how often pacman frogs shed since this is my first one, and I would really love some help. I've been pondering about whether or not to drop a cricket in his tank to let him find it, or dig him up. I also don't know how long he can go without eating. I might be overreacting but I'm really worried about him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: I haven't seen my pacman frog for about 4-5 days.

Can you describe the enclosure in detail? (Look at the “trouble in the enclosure” sticky for reference)

4. This member thanks DanDrobates for this post:

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

1. 10 gallon aquarium with a mesh top
    2. 1 male pacman frog about the size of a quarter
    3. I put saran wrap over half of the top and still the humidity remains at 30-40%. When I first spray the enclosure, the humidity goes up to 60-80%, but only temporarily, and I'm not sure why. (These percentages are what my humidity gauge has told me.)
    4. The temperature remains a constant 75-85 degrees F in the day, and between 68 aprox. - 75 degrees F in the night.
    5. I first used only bottled water when I first got him, and then the pet store I received him from said tap water was ok for both the misting and water bowl, and I started using it and he seemed fine with it.
    6. I use eco earth compressed coconut fiber expanding substrate about 2 inches tall in his cage and on top I sprinkle some zoo med terrarium moss.
    7. I have one artificial plant in there and a small wood log hide for him. I didn't do anything prior to putting them in the tank.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Crickets
    9. Yes, I sprinkle calcium with vitamin D3 in it on his crickets each time.
    10. 75 watt infrared heat lamp
    11. The heat lamp, and without it the temperature remains above 60
    12. Last week on wednesday
    13. No
    14. i'm new so I'm not sure how to attach a pic.
    15. I don't notice anything wrong with him, or I didn't before he last burrowed.
    16. 6-7 months
    17. 1 1/2 months
    18. captive bred
    19. Frog food- every monday, wednesday, and friday i fed him 2 crickets
    20. He has been handled once after taken out of the box I received him in, but jumped out of the holder's hands right away and hasn't been touched since. (Her hands were wet)
    21. Low traffic, barely any activity besides when I go in and sleep (he's kept in my bedroom)
    22. I change his water every other day and I plan to clean his tank this upcoming week, if not the next.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

A ten gallon tank is a bit large for a froglet the size of a quarter. You may want to switch to a smaller size or put the frog in a smaller enclosure within the 10 gallon. Since you are having issues maintaining humidity the moisture from the substrate may be evaporating from the surface quickly forcing the frog to go deeper. I would get a small Kritter Keeper and house the frog inside of it and place it inside the ten gallon. It’s easier to monitor a froglet this size in a smaller enclosure and you won’t have to break down the ten gallon. You can move the kritter keeper around inside it until you find a sweet spot where temperatures, humidity and lighting are optimal. Another thing you can try is saturating the substrate until it becomes pasty. (But not soupy) I wouldn’t keep it saturated for more than a day or two but soaked substrate will bring your frog up in a more natural way (by simulating heavy rainfall). Monitor it and see if it feeds. I would also incorporate a day/night cycle with lights on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours as you may see it more in the evening. To maintain high humidity longer, try misting after lights out. 68 to 70 degrees at night isn’t bad but going over 80 during the day may be stressing the animal. They will burrow to cool down and you may want to switch your heat source to something that maintains a temperature closer to 80 degrees.

7. This member thanks DanDrobates for this post:

so, i'll consider picking up a smaller cage for him when i go to the pet store this upcoming week, and this morning i actually saw him come up to the point where I saw his eyes and his back. He looks kinda chubby, and when I opened the top to mist, he burrowed back down. Is this good or bad? I've seen him do it a couple times but usually he stays until there's sunlight.

Thread Information