Thread: Another tank Question

froggiez

Default Another tank Question

I would have posted this in the original thread I started but there was a lot of off topic convo's in there...lol
    Anyhoo, I would really like to give my froggie some more height, so I was thinking of turning my 10 gal vertical, but was wondering instead of having to have a glass special made for it could I use the screen top since it latches?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Another tank Question

Quote Originally Posted by froggiez View Post
    I would have posted this in the original thread I started but there was a lot of off topic convo's in there...lol
    Anyhoo, I would really like to give my froggie some more height, so I was thinking of turning my 10 gal vertical, but was wondering instead of having to have a glass special made for it could I use the screen top since it latches?

This is my OPINION but you can decide if its usefull or not. Anywho, I think I saw some people do vertical tanks in a forum called dendroboards. There is another forum out there but it mainly specializes on terrariums which I dont recall the name for it so I cant say much about it(I came across it while searching for tank ideas for my fire bellied toads a very long time ago).

What they did is they turnedover a 20g long(so the tank was like a 10g in width and length but it was like two ten gallons joined together in length). Anywho They made in some special modifications since this was for some red eyed tree frogs. They wanted a water basin and no dirt floor. So what they did is they got some plexiglass and was made to fit a certain size which was I think 8inches tall. What they also did was put this enclosure on a rubbermaid so if any water leaks itll just go onto the rubbermaid and not make a mess. They made their own lids I think they used metal for the frame and then they used 2 mesh made out of cloth and put one in and the other on top of that one. So the frogs get a good ventilation and it cant rip open. They did this thing where they had made their own background using coco fiber matts. You know those things that are used on baskets where some plants are potted? The ones that hang on the ceiling. Well they used that as a background. Glued the borders of it to the tank and left a pocket in there to put in dirt and whatever they wanted on the dirt. They used plants like phelodendruns and orchids. They got some driftwood thats only 3inches thick in width but it was tall. They used it for the climbing area. there they put in some live moss and got some rubber bands and put the edges of the moss one band on the left and the other on the right untill the moss was rooted.

As for the "roof" they cut in a hole on the top which would be one of the sides if you are doing a vertical tank. They cut it large enough so that the light they used can go in(the actual spectrum not the bulb or lamp). They then glued mesh to it so the frogs dont escape and get fried. So the lamp stood on the glass while the heat entered from the above.

I think there was something else but I vaguely remember. This looks like a hard task but Iam sure it could be done to a 10gallon.

When I was reading the post I remember alot of people liking his idea of it. Iam going to see if I can find the link. Ill edit this soon if I find it.
    Hopes this help.

Edit:
    Well I couldnt find the exact page where it was on the forum that I looked at since what it showed me was a 40breeder. The one Iam talking about is a vertical tank made for red eyed tree frogs. It was flipping sweet.

Before I forget the site is called "vivariumforum.com

4. This member thanks Deku for this post:

froggiez

Thank you Kevin very good info, but I was looking to do something with what I have on hand without having to buy something at the moment. I do plan on getting an exo terra I saw at Pet Smart at a pretty good price, but I have to wait on that due to budget so was hoping to do something for froggy now

6. This member thanks froggiez for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by froggiez View Post
    As long as the screen is still secure and escape proof when in a vertical position, then I don't see why not (substrate leaking out the screen might be on issue though?).

I probably should have looked at your avatar before, but if this is for a gray tree frog, then a screen for a front in a conversion like this seems much better than glass- good ventilation is always recommended for tree frogs and grays aren't terribly fussy about having a high humidity.

froggiez

Thank you. Yes it is for a Gray Tree Frog. I was thinking the same thing about hte substrate leaking, I think I can put something together to keep it from seeping out

Thread Information