Thread: Baby Pac-Man frog won’t eat?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Baby Pac-Man frog won’t eat?

Hey I always read stuff off this forum so I’d thought I’d make an account
    but I just got a baby Pac-Man frog two weeks ago today and he still won’t eat?
    I think it is probably because of the long ride home, the switching from one tank to an updated one, and behind dug out of the dirt/handled when I’ve tried to feed him or move him into his enclosure.
    Today actually I tried to feed him and I picked him up to show my friend and the slippery fella hopped out of my hand and fell maybe two feet onto carpet which probably didn’t help his stress
    I am probably over thinking but this is my first amphibian, I love him very much and I’d love some help <3

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Baby Pac-Man frog won’t eat?

Can you describe the enclosure in detail? A description helps (See the “trouble in the enclosure” sticky).

Nonetheless, a few suggestions come to mind. Most importantly I’d advise you to avoid handling. Handling can stress your frog very easily. Also I would give your froglet time to acclimate. What size and type of prey are you offering? When are you offering it? (I.e after lights out?) Some frogs can be finicky.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I have:
    18x18x12 exo terra
    3” of coco fibre substrate
    a log and two of those plastic leaves for him to hide under
    Two small spider plants
    a water dish that he’s able to sit in comfortably and isn’t too deep
    a UTH on the left side which is regulated by a thermostat and thermometer which keeps it between 25-27 degrees Celsius
    all the water I use for him, including the spray bottle to maintain the humidity has been dechlorinated
    ive been trying to feed him the smaller/baby crickets that I’ve gutloaded
    I feed him around 7-8pm usually

also I know I’m not supposed to hold him which I try not to, I just have to dig him out of the dirt which I use non-powdered, non-latex nitrile gloves that I spray down before digging him up.

hope this is all the info you need! Thanks for responding <3

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Cward0 View Post
    I have:
    18x18x12 exo terra
    3” of coco fibre substrate
    a log and two of those plastic leaves for him to hide under
    Two small spider plants
    a water dish that he’s able to sit in comfortably and isn’t too deep
    a UTH on the left side which is regulated by a thermostat and thermometer which keeps it between 25-27 degrees Celsius
    all the water I use for him, including the spray bottle to maintain the humidity has been dechlorinated
    ive been trying to feed him the smaller/baby crickets that I’ve gutloaded
    I feed him around 7-8pm usually

also I know I’m not supposed to hold him which I try not to, I just have to dig him out of the dirt which I use non-powdered, non-latex nitrile gloves that I spray down before digging him up.

hope this is all the info you need! Thanks for responding <3

All in in all your set up sounds good but a few things stick out. A full 3 inches of substrate is in my opinion a lot. You shouldn’t have to dig your frog out constantly to check on it. For juveniles the size of a quarter or so an inch of damp substrate is enough. This way they can settle in and feel snug without completely disappearing. The act of digging up a frog constantly is a stressor. I’m also a proponent of small enclosures for juveniles. Your enclosure sounds lovely but it’s huge for a small Pac-Man. I use smaller critter keeper near the 2 gallon size. It’s easier to monitor this species in a smaller space and it’s easier for them to find food (I.e the feeders can wander off and disappear elsewhere in the enclosure). You can even leave the critter keeper in the existing vivarium to maintain the ambient temperatures and humidity you need. Once the frog has outgrown the smaller enclosure you can move it up to the larger one. All in all remember that some individuals are picky and it can be tough getting the started. In my opinion they are more of an intermediate species than a beginner.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thank you so much for your help, I’m definitely going to make some changes to his tank and downsize a lot haha, I’ll also try out some new worms and such he can try later on. Hope you have a great day!

Thread Information