I've kept fish for a long while, but am brand new to the frog scene. I plan on setting up a standard 29g as a bioactive fire-bellied toad enclosure. In the land portion, I'm thinking of using hydroballs for the drainage layer with ABG, sphagnum moss, and leaf litter on top (with a barrier, of course). I don't own anything other than the 29g and haven't set anything up yet.

I realized earlier today that the drainage layer more than likely needs to be drained itself. How do I go about this? I'd rather avoid drilling if possible as I don't have the means to do that myself and I am currently in college, so don't want to pay for someone else to do it unless there is no other way to accomplish this. I've tried to find other articles about this, but haven't been very successful in finding options other than drilling. I'm going to have live plants and possibly a waterfall feature, and I'll be misting manually. No idea how often I'll need to mist, though. I think the humidity level would be fine on its own with the amount of water that'll be in the tank, but I imagine the plants would need it regardless. I only really have experience with aquatic plants, though, so I'm not too sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! I've always loved frogs and am really excited to put this together.