Thread: Cane toad won't leave water area

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Cane toad won't leave water area

I just got a new cane toad two days ago. I was hoping for a CB one but she's actually WC from Florida where they're invasive. She had a tick on her when she arrived (promptly removed) and no other external parasites visible. Eyes and nose are clear. She's alert, inquisitive, and active, but has had no interest in food at least while I'm around (dish, tongs, or just loose in the enclosure). Haven't seen a poop yet but she's peeing just fine.

She seems to have no interest in being on the land side of her enclosure, and has spent basically all of the past 2 days soaking. All she seems to want to do is wedge herself up next to the filter. I'm wondering if this is normal, and if I should be worried. I've never kept this species before.

1. Size of enclosure - 40B

2. # of inhabitants - Single
    3. Humidity - No way to measure this as of yet but the substrate stays moist with regular misting
    4. Temperature - High 70s(day)/ Low 70s(night)
    5. Water - Tap water treated with Tetra Aquasafe Plus (Water in my area is treated with Chloramines; letting it sit out won't work)
    6. Materials used for substrate - 70% organic potting soil, 30% coco fiber (land) / pool filter sand (water)
    7. Enclosure set up - Bioactive (springtails/isopods). Two live plants, a big modified basket for a hide. Had a half log in it for a 2nd hide but it got moldy so I took it out. 75% land, 25% water. Small food bowl sunk into the substrate
    8. Main food source - Gutloaded Dubias, pet store crickets, nightcrawlers, occasional treats
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) - Both every other feeding (3x/wk)
    10. Lighting - Cheap LED strip lights ordered off Amazon
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure - Entire room is heated
    12. When is the last time he/she ate - No idea; she's WC and has only been here for 2 days
    13. Have you found poop lately - No
    14. Pic - See below
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. - No physical changes, no visible parasites (had a tick when she came in), no mites; clear eyes, nose, vent. Alert and active.
    16. How old is the frog - No idea. She's 4in StV. No idea of sex either; just calling her a 'she' for convenience
    17. How long have you owned him/her - 48 Hours
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred - WC in Florida where they're invasive
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats -
    Gutloaded Dubias, pet store crickets, nightcrawlers. Plan to use hornworms as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled - Daily so far for health checks
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - Reasonably high. She's next to the only path to the one bathroom in the entire house.
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) - Water change every other day. Spot cleaning as needed. Substrate replacement as needed

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  14.1 KBName:  image0.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  13.2 KBName:  image2.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  14.7 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Cane toad won't leave water area

Never got an answer but I'll post an update-- turns out she was only hiding in the water when I was around. She isn't sick, she was just terrified of me and hiding in the water. I've been leaving her alone and she's stopped being quite so scared of me. She's taken an interest in food, and has eaten a ton of crickets; the dubias don't move as much but she's snatched a few of those up as well. We'll work up to tong feeding once she's completely comfortable with me.

I know this is November, but I just saw your post and I love your basket house with the snake plants! How is your toad doing now?

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you! She's doing great! Growing like a weed; she's about 5-5.5 inches SVL now and getting bolder by the day. I also got confirmation (using this scientific article about sexing cane toads by sight) that she is, in fact, a female! I'm excited for her to grow huge!

Nationality
    [United States]

Toad update!! She's about 6-6.5in SVL now and doing just great. We had a cross country move and she handled it like a champ, although we've gone back to square 1 as far as trust is concerned. She's eating like a champ and is between growth spurts so I need to cut back her food a little bit. I don't think she's hit her max size since her parotid glands are still small. Love her lots!!

6. This member thanks Axqu for this post:

Thread Information