Thread: How often should I feed my american toads?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How often should I feed my american toads?

I have had these american toads for about 1-2 months. They are about 2- maybe 3 inches long (im bad at measuring just using my eyes lol). I have been feeding them everyday about 8-10 crickets per toad. I think that was too much food for them but I just wanted to make sure they were getting enough food. Anywho, im going to start watching how much they eat so I was wondering how much i should feed them and how many times a week? Thanks guys, appreciate it!

Edit: Just wanted to add that they do seem to eat all the crickets. I was told to feed the babies for about 10-15 minutes
    , which is why I gave them 8-10 crickets per day. They are about 1/2 inch size crickets, medium size the store says.

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How often should I feed my american toads?

Considering they're starting to get a little bit larger, I would at least start to feed them every other day. I would cut down the number of crickets slightly too. I can't think of a definite feeding schedule off the top of my head for some reason, but I'm sure someone will come along with more ideas.
    "If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."
    - James Herriot
    The first step towards fixing your flaws is recognizing that they exist.
    FFA & Livestock Judging
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Redstripe)
    1.1.0 D. versicolor
    0.0.1 Red Eared Slider
    1.0.0 A. fowleri (R.I.P 1/13/21, I miss you Herbie)

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    Considering they're starting to get a little bit larger, I would at least start to feed them every other day. I would cut down the number of crickets slightly too. I can't think of a definite feeding schedule off the top of my head for some reason, but I'm sure someone will come along with more ideas.
    Ok I was thinking every other day but I was just wanting to make sure. They just love to eat everyday and I feel bad about cutting back on their food, but I know its for their health. Thanks for your help!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You can add in waxworms and mealworms as well as roaches, hornworms, silkworms and others. I think to try a three day schedule would be good. So you can pick what 3 days you want but I'd start there and feed what they will eat still.

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    You can add in waxworms and mealworms as well as roaches, hornworms, silkworms and others. I think to try a three day schedule would be good. So you can pick what 3 days you want but I'd start there and feed what they will eat still.

Ok, I know I can get waxworms and mealworms at a pet store so that will be fine. I will try to feed them a variety of food now. Thanks for the help!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

This is an article written by a Veterinarian for Reptiles Magazine which covers some facts about American Toads that you should find helpful: http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Frog...ding-And-Care/

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The care article on American Toads is not done very well. They claim these toads only live 8-10 years but they can live for over 40.

The second thing is they believe toads can live their whole lives in a 10 gallon. My toads use a 125 gallon every inch they can.

These are two very bad points to educate people on. The article is not something I recommend for keepers.

Not this specific article talks about this but the other one does. This article also has the temps a little low. 60-upper 70s toads do best. But it really depends on where your toads come from. More southern the warmer they enjoy.

As for feeders I respectfully disagree that if a pet then they should be fed primarily captive feeders.

Hello, Like the others stated, crickets are good feeders as well as the other bugs listed. I usually feed three to five of the medium to larger sized crickets as the smaller ones do not fill my toads and are harder to come by in my local stores. I am unsure on the size of your toads so be wary on the size of feeders you give( my toads are larger so they are able to consume larger insects). Since fall is coming you may notice your toads reduce the amount they consume. The schedule I follow for my toads(just a suggestion you may do whatever you wish) is to feed gut loaded repashy calcium dusted crickets twice weekly( usually Monday night and Friday night) and other feeders on Wednesday as well as Saturday. You may find that your toads may alter their diet in which they may prefer a species of insect over another, for instance mine will still accept crickets however since my local temperature dropped they aren't aggressively chasing them down as they would have in the summer, as such My toads seem to like meal worms and other slow moving grub type worms ( wax butter and hornworms) . If your toads slow down try wounding crickets and place them near the toads so they can catch them with ease. Good luck with your toads it sounds like your off to a great start with them

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Here's another good article based upon the science of Biology and the study of the American Toad. I find that science is a good source for facts about many things: https://www.psu.edu/dept/nkbiology/n...ericantoad.htm

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KP View Post
    Here's another good article based upon the science of Biology and the study of the American Toad. I find that science is a good source for facts about many things: https://www.psu.edu/dept/nkbiology/n...ericantoad.htm
    Read the range again. American Toads don't occur down to Mexico. Penn State is not talking about the same American Toad. The dwarfs are in Canada and South Carolina. They do not live in Mexico. They probably mean a different species of toad.

The internet has this range and some facts that aren't really good but just talked about without anybody actually checking to see if it's right.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Actually there are eight species within the Anaxyrus americanus group which is found from Mexico to Canada with a wide range from East to West within the 48 contiguous United States. Here's a well-researched, scientific study of the Anaxyrus americanus group which I highly recommend: https://rc.library.uta.edu/uta-ir/bi...pdf?sequence=1

Im not sure what some of the online literature is saying but I live in Canada and all I have seen is the regular subspecies of American toads and the Hudson Bay subspecies of American toad. I have yet to see a dwarf American toad however I have seen toads that were reddish in color but they were the regular size in fact I've seen toads in person and heard reports of large female toads that exceed the average size 3 to 4 inches( of course I am only talking about the area I live in and not the rest of the country) . I also wanted to say I did not mean to hijack the thread by anymeans. The young toads that this thread is about sounds like they are very well fed and are showing impressive growth for their age. 8 to 10 crickets isn't really required but I'm sure your toads aren't complaining about that. You should post some pictures to show their size!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The Anaxyrus americanus toads in and around my compound go from being morphs at the water's edge to half adult size or larger by fall. I keep track of individuals who remain in the compound and have photographed them at growth stages and it's very impressive to see how fast they grow in their first 5 months. Of course I can only account for 4 of them this year out of the thousands who got fully morphed into toadlets and set out on their terrestrial adventure. In any given year there are at least 2 couples and as many as 5 additional singles living in the compound during the spring spawn.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

This is from the study you shared.

I want to say it's a great study but it actually proved my point that they aren't in Mexico. A different species is.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Same group. Different specie. Anaxyrus americanus ________ fill in the blank. They're all the American Toad.
    Hybridizing can also confuse identification especially near the theoretical boundaries of each specie within the group.
    For instance here on my compound I have A. americanus americanus/A. americanus fowleri hybrids.
    The point with regard to their diet is that all the Toad species within the Anaxyrus group can eat the same arthropods from arachnids to ants to moths to slugs etc. etc. and the more varied their diet the better.

Presently at the compound it's Cranefly season and my Grays are loving them. Toads of the Anaxyrus americanus group can also eat Craneflies for those who have access to them and wish to enhance their toad's diet. Toads of the Anaxyrus americanus group will most defintely eat Craneflies in the wild as these insects spend a great deal of time on the ground.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I hope you can read this. I couldn't read the other one. Sorry

Thread Information