Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: nightcrawlers & Horned worms

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Fullerton, Ca, USA
    Posts
    1

    Default nightcrawlers & Horned worms

    My daughter has a Pacman frog that is about 3-4 inches round. She's been looking into switching "her" off crickets and onto nightcrawlers and horned worms but she was told that neither is good as the main diet and is actually unhealthy for the frog to eat. Does anyone feed their Pacman these two items as the main diet?

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Fullerton, Ca
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: nightcrawlers & Horned worms

    Here’s a picture of my frog
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  4. #3
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,656
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: nightcrawlers & Horned worms

    Nightcrawlers are fine as a staple, but Hornworms can be expensive and grow so rapidly that the frog may not be able to eat them all before they reach their maximum size of four inches. You can slow their growth by cooling them down, but it can cause the caterpillar's food to become wet and possibly mold.

    Hornworms do make a good treat.

    Look at greatlakeshornworm.com. They usually have decent deals on cups for feeding multiple frogs, but you will need to let them grow for a few days to reach appropriate size for her frog and then try to slow their growth at that size or you may not get your money's worth out of them. They reach four inches in a week and a half to two weeks depending on temperature.

    Best Regards
    Grif


  5. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Fullerton, Ca
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: nightcrawlers & Horned worms

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Nightcrawlers are fine as a staple, but Hornworms can be expensive and grow so rapidly that the frog may not be able to eat them all before they reach their maximum size of four inches. You can slow their growth by cooling them down, but it can cause the caterpillar's food to become wet and possibly mold.

    Hornworms do make a good treat.

    Look at greatlakeshornworm.com. They usually have decent deals on cups for feeding multiple frogs, but you will need to let them grow for a few days to reach appropriate size for her frog and then try to slow their growth at that size or you may not get your money's worth out of them. They reach four inches in a week and a half to two weeks depending on temperature.

    Best Regards
    Grif

    Thank you. I’m ordering some horned worms right now. Also, do you know of a good place to purchase night crawlers?

  6. #5
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,656
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: nightcrawlers & Horned worms

    I just get mine from my local Wal-Mart. They carry containers of 20 for a good price and the worms are healthy.


  7. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Fullerton, Ca
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: nightcrawlers & Horned worms

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I just get mine from my local Wal-Mart. They carry containers of 20 for a good price and the worms are healthy.
    Oh ok, I was told to not get them at Walmart because they put something on them to attract fish.

  8. #7
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,656
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: nightcrawlers & Horned worms

    That may depend on the Wal-Mart. I've never seen them sell chemically scented nightcrawlers. They already have water soluble molecules that can be detected by fish plus they're alive and move. No reason for them to try and add artificial scents.


  9. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Fullerton, Ca
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: nightcrawlers & Horned worms

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    That may depend on the Wal-Mart. I've never seen them sell chemically scented nightcrawlers. They already have water soluble molecules that can be detected by fish plus they're alive and move. No reason for them to try and add artificial scents.

    Thank you. I appreciate all your help

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Silk Worms As Horned Frog Food.
    By AKFROG in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: October 1st, 2014, 02:45 PM
  2. Walmart worms and bait shop crickets, worms an as feeders
    By Yikedaddy23 in forum African Bullfrogs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2014, 05:04 PM
  3. What happened to these worms? (european nightcrawlers looking all messed up)
    By yoshimi in forum Food, Feeders, Live, Frozen, Culturing, etc
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: April 19th, 2013, 04:08 PM
  4. Canadian Nightcrawlers vs. European Nightcrawlers
    By frogsanity12 in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2013, 12:24 AM
  5. nightcrawlers/earth worms
    By lumpbump in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: August 28th, 2012, 02:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •